Ford Focus 1.6TDCI not starting

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI not starting

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
I have a 2005 Focus 1.6 TDCI with starting issue:
I have the injectors curent only for 5-7 seconds,rail pressure is 32 MPa,engine not start.
Using a start spray the engine start and stop.No back leak at injectors.
In fault memory I have:P1552 ,P1554,P1395,P138B.
When the fault memory is empty I have rail pressure,curent command for injectors,injected volume of fuel ...
Faults/actual values was readed with KTS,X-431,Forscan.
Any advice is wellcome.
Thank you
Attachments
Ford_Focus_2005_20140705-0001.psdata
(7.2 MiB) Downloaded 788 times

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Ford Focus 1.6TDCI not starting

Post by Dcunning35 »

Hi Viktor , start criteria as a target for injection is around 150bar providing ckp ,cmp correlate. 32mpa is 320bar I think ? .based on your dtcs ,injector circuits and glow plug faults a check of the glow plug resistances and relay circuit may be prudent as early cars had relay located on side of radiator support on the nearside and suffered from water and salt ingress.There is a tsb to cover this .This sounds more of an electrical concern and incredibly possible a pcm issue.
The Bosch fuel system is bomb proof and other than combustion washers failing and idiot induced faults I've not had to replace any high pressure components .
Pcm,s yes , pcm power and grounds a must to check underload and the same for injector circuits but I think your looking at a pcm as you have issues with both paired injector circuits .
If I can help anymore pm me anytime .

I'm on Mobile so forgive me if this doesn't read well.
Danny

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Victor

what description do you have for those codes - I have Injectors and Glow Plugs ??

Is that capture taken with spray to start it ? If so can we get another trace with Rail Pressure Sensor on Channel D but without the spray and a little more time across the screen.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

STC wrote:Victor

what description do you have for those codes - I have Injectors and Glow Plugs ??

Is that capture taken with spray to start it ? If so can we get another trace with Rail Pressure Sensor on Channel D but without the spray and a little more time across the screen.
Hello,
performance of injectors 2 and 4 and glow plugs relay is the description of fault codes.
Capture was taken after the erasure of faults,not with spray starting(with spray I have 500-700 rpm engine speed).
In my case with diag(KTS or forscan) I recorded rail pressure,engine speed,PRV %,with scope I recorded injectors current,CAM and Crank signals.
I checked the coils of injectors-was all ok,without short to gnd or +
Thank you.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Hi ,forgive me Viktor with the dtcs cleared the car will start? .When it wont run you get the 2injector circuit dtcs and the glow plug relay and glow plug monitoring dtcs all together?.
I cant open the psdata as I'm not near my laptop .
I will asap . When it doesn't run what's the frp and do the injectors switch?
The pcm feeds are a good place to start and the glow plug circuit to see what its doing at non start .
Danny

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Also do you have the status and failiure modes for the dtcs I can look these up on the Bosch calibration guide ,the calibration number of pcm would help too.
Danny

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

More I look at this alarm bells are ringing !! If the current is dropping out after 5,6 seconds and you have rail pressure and ckp cmp sync , you get dtcs for both injector circuits ! All be it labeled up as " performance" I don't buy 2 injectors with mechanical restiction causing current to overload pcm and drop out especially without significant leak back . My money is with the silver oak pcm bolted right where the elements can attack it .
These have had a few supersessions with differing calibrations to support different hardware the build period your vehicle is I have replaced a few with injector and glow plug faults all giving none start. By all means check the powers and grounds underload and voltdrop the injector circuits with a 21wbulb in place of injectors . But my gutt feeling is pcm and these early units didn't report internal injector monitoring dtcs until we got can based dtcs with the introduction of smax galaxy in late 2006. Focus didn't get them till mid 2008 with the facelift.

Danny

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Dcunning35 wrote:Hi ,forgive me Viktor with the dtcs cleared the car will start? .When it wont run you get the 2injector circuit dtcs and the glow plug relay and glow plug monitoring dtcs all together?.
I cant open the psdata as I'm not near my laptop .
I will asap . When it doesn't run what's the frp and do the injectors switch?
The pcm feeds are a good place to start and the glow plug circuit to see what its doing at non start .
Danny
Hello,
With or without faults the car not start
Without faults I have for 5-6 seconds pressure in rail,current for injectors but the engine not start
With faults the rail pressure not increase,not pressure sync,not current for injectors
Sometime I have faults on all injectors ,sometime I have faults only on 2 injectors but the engine can't start.
Thank you

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Does it build pressure wth prv disconnected or forced closed, and injector solenoids diconnected ? .
If injection was cut due to insufficient pressure generation I would expeck the usual p191 rail pressure dtcs not injector circuit ones .
My thoughts are still with pcm ,provinding the injector circuits check out and pcm powers and grounds ,please volt drop the powers and grounds under load as a quick prod with the meter doesn't always show faults and have a manipulation of loom around transmission area too.
Danny

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
I have a new set of values...
Relative compresion is BAD(I used a 24v/5w lamp instead of injector1 coil for reference).
ECU was knocked and sealed.
Car start only with spray!
Attachments
Ford_Focus_2005_20140706-0004.psdata
(8.87 MiB) Downloaded 825 times