WiFi ELM327 Connection

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

WiFi ELM327 Connection

Post by Mark Dalton »

Hi There,
This post is in a similar vein to a previous post about a Bluetooth ELM327 device.
I was using a Bluetooth ELM327 device to get OBDII data when using the NVH tool, but the adapter went walkabout on me and I couldn't find another Bluetooth device on eBay like the one I had. There was plenty of Wi-Fi ELM327 devices available. So I bought a Wi-Fi adapter, thinking it would work in a similar way to the Bluetooth version. Of course it doesn't. So the Device shows up as Wi-Fi OBDII device in my wireless network, but the NVH tool doesn't see it at all. I presume the NVH software is looking for a USB or Com Port device.
Has anyone tried to connect a Wi-Fi device to the NVH software via a Virtual Com Port or similar.
What software did you use. How easy was it to set up etc.
Much Appreciated.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: WiFi ELM327 Connection

Post by Alan »

Hi Mark,

One of the issues with the ELM scan tools is that there are few (if any) that are genuine. Nearly all are slightly different clones. Start by seeing if you can get it to work with the scan tool software supplied with the device (which may install drivers etc as part of the process) - if it does not work with the supplied software then there is little chance of it working with the Pico NVH software.

Regards
Alan

Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: WiFi ELM327 Connection

Post by Mark Dalton »

Hi Alan,
The Adapter doesn't work with all the free OBDII out there, but it does work with all the ones that specifically have an option to connect to a Wi-Fi Adapter. Clearly there isn't an option for that in the Pico Software. So I was hoping some one had come across software that would redirect an IP address to a Virtual COM Port.