My "Zero" line keeps jumping up and down

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
newpico4425

My "Zero" line keeps jumping up and down

Post by newpico4425 »

I have a picoscope 4425, brand new pico amp clamps, brand new laptop with usb 3.0.

I was measuring my coil current ramps (all ramps from fuse box location) on my car and my
"zero" line (or base line) was jumping up and down (with coil ramps on them). What causes
this jumping up and down?

Thank you guys so much....
Murle

PicoPhil
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: My "Zero" line keeps jumping up and down

Post by PicoPhil »

Good morning. Please can you tell me which version of software you have installed on your laptop. We also ask customers to leave the current clamp in the environment that it is to be used in for up to 15 minute,prior to use. I look forward to your reply.
Thanks Philip

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Phil,

Question asked and answered here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB ... 1474680735

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi Murle
There are a couple of things to note about the picoscope 4425 scopes and why base lines might do strange things ...
1. Each channel is grounded individually, and any poor ground or ground that has a volt drop verse other grounds can get very interesting and sidetracking! Of course this does not impact your amp clamp ...
2. Using Auto Ranging scales ... its fine for establishing what you've got in a first run, but once you have your range, it's best to manully set it up in the menu (plus some allowance) and then Zoom the on screen scaling to fit. I know this might seem a bit of trouble, but will result in far few incidences that confuse ...

Of course, it's always best to post the actual capture file as well as screenshots/pictures, with any questions, as so much more can be learnt from the file.

Hope that helps
Richard