Freelander 2 slight hesitation at 2000rpm

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
mikeevans
OneWave
OneWave

Freelander 2 slight hesitation at 2000rpm

Post by mikeevans »

2012 Freelander 2 2.2 diesel,manual, stop start. 28000 miles. Drives and performs very well apart from a slight hesitation at about 2000 rpm.

No EML and no fault codes stored. Sold this car about 12 months ago and has had this problem for most of that time. Under normal driving most drivers would not notice the fault, but my customer is aware of it now and can demonstrate it easily.

10 Months ago we replaced the clutch pedal switches which improved it temporarily.It's more noticeable when pulling out of a junction ,changing from 1st to 2nd and driving gently. You can actually hear the hesitation with the L/H window down by listening to the change in the air intake tone.

Disconnected turbo actuator and vanes seem free with free movement.It feels like it needs lubrication as there is a faint squeak to be heard when moving the control arm, but no resistance or sticking.

Possibly a turbo issue but they don't appear to be a problem.We have substituted the throttle body but no change. Any thoughts or advice on this will be much appreciated.As it stands we have no codes to point us in any direction and are running out of ideas. Apologies for the length of the post but trying to give a full account of the issue which may help.
Last edited by mikeevans on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC
Banned

Re: Freelander 2 slight hesitation at 2000rpm

Post by STC »

Disconnected turbo actuator and vanes seem free with free movement. It feels like it needs lubrication as there is a faint squeak to be heard when moving the control arm, but no resistance or sticking.
The control of the turbo will always feel as though it needs lubrication, and could be your issue.

To rule in or out the possible turbo issue you could either scope or graph:
Pedal Position / Boost Pressure (Actual & Desired if Graphing) / MAF ..... .....

For example, Snap on Verus will allow you to Graph 16 PIDs simultaneously. Giving you half a chance of spotting the rogue.
Last edited by STC on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

You said replacing the cpp switches improved the issue? . I am aware that the dw12 engines in mondeo ,galaxy,smax did change the cpp switch from anologue to digits and there was software updates for this . The other issue I have seen on the same engines is more noticeable when going back on throttle after periods of overun. If you look at your map in live data and see if you notice a vacuum start to build . The oxygen sensor cokes up and although is used to correct egr quantities it can trigger the pcm to launch an engine overspeed statergy. The ecm sees a lack of oxygen and the engine speed raise although in conjunction with road speed (especially if on a downhill) .The pcm then begins to close etb to reduce the speed the sudden vacuum build up causes a cough and stumble as the driver goes back on the taps.
Its easy to prove by running with hego disconnected.
Maybe try sdd to see if there are any updates for pcm it may save hours of hassle.
Danny

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Had something similar with a audi turbo

i think it was a garrets variable vane turbo the stop on the turbo was missing allowing the leaver to go past it pivot point so it took a bit of pressure to get it moving again pig to find as access to the turbo was poor

think it had been missing from new and once the linkage had worn a bit

probably something you already checked but thought id mention it

Thanks Andrew

mikeevans
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mikeevans »

Thanks Andrew, any information is welcome. It is difficult to reach but when disconnected the variable vane control arm is very loose and I can't detect any resistance. Based on this , I have to be satisfied that the turbo is OK.

The car is back with the owner for now. Next step is to scope the throttle pedal as we had a similar fault with a 2.4 Tdci defender a couple of years ago. We fitted a new pedal to that vehicle and it cured it instantly.

If the vehicle is driven normally, with slightly harder acceleration than the owner, the fault is not evident.

I would like to be able to prove that a component is at fault before condemning it but sometimes due to the time it takes
it is quicker, therefor cheaper to substitute parts. This applies to myself, as I am not fully experienced ,or trained with using the picoscope.

I have Land Rover - Autologic and all software is up to date. Unfortunatly their technical help has so far not been able to resolve this problem either.

Thanks to all for your input
Mike

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

The Audi was the same free movement worked fine disconnected worked ok with vacuum pump testing I only noticed it using a camera it didn't affect turbo pressure just slight hesitation

We only looked at this because another garage had condemned the turbo a new turo would have fixed it
But 50 p for a bolt was the sensible answer
Thanks Andrew

mikeevans
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mikeevans »

Apologies for the late update but we waited for the customer to use the vehicle for some time before we could safely say that we have fixed the problem We eventually fixed this using "gut feeling" and not electronic diagnosis. The fault seemed to occur with reasonable consistency and we linked this to possible throttle pedal track wear. We checked the price of a new pedal which was approx £40.We ordered one, fitted it,(10 mins) and it has been perfect ever since. It would have been good to diagnose this with the scope but when the suspected parts are low cost, it is sometimes a lot cheaper and quicker to fit the part.
Finding wiring information,searching Land Rover Topix etc is very time consuming and frustrating, and in my view the worst part of the diagnosis process. We use Delphi/Haynes which has very poor wiring coverage. We have trialed most others and find them all lacking- despite their claims. If anyone can recommend a good one please let me know.
Anyway, we have a pleased and satisfied customer who will continue to use us in the future.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

it is sometimes a lot cheaper and quicker to fit the part.
It is only cheaper and quicker to fit the part if it fixes it. Not so when it doesn't.

When it doesn't then you have potentially added another fault to the car making it harder to fix further down the line. That is one of the pitfalls to guessing over testing.
This applies to myself, as I am not fully experienced ,or trained with using the picoscope.
You have done the hard part, purchasing a fairly expensive piece of equipment. Now you just need to add the training, quite a bit is available online or take a look here http://www.techtopics.co.uk/oscilloscop ... -training/

mikeevans
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mikeevans »

Yes I agree entirely. There is a great deal of useful information on the forum and some informative clips on youtube. It would be great to have the time to attend courses but unfortunately my role as (manager/mechanic/sales person etc.etc.) does not allow.

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Have to say im now using e3 technical for most wiring although the info isnt always there quick email and they normally provide oem diagrams

Thanks Andrew