dodge pickup no crank rpm

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
rburgy
OneWave
OneWave

dodge pickup no crank rpm

Post by rburgy »

hey guys. wanted to see if you guys would take a look at a waveform for me and give me some input.
2003 dodge r1500 4.7l. installed used engine. I have no engine rpm on scan tool. I can put the waveform up if you tell me how to move it from the waveform library to here??

I checked for 5v, signal, ground all at the crank sensor-everything looked good.
I checked it at the ECM-all that was good at the ECM was 5v.
I had erratic signal and ground was horrible. (like I said its in the waveform library)
I jumpered new wires for the signal and ground-now I have the same waveforms at the ECM as I do at the sensor, but still no RPM on scantool. The engine will backfire every once in a while through the intake. But I assume it has to do with the crank rpm??
what you guys think? any suggestions?

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: dodge pickup no crank rpm

Post by Fat Freddy »

Can I assume, since you haven't mentioned it, there are no codes???

Sorry. Don't know much about Dodge. If some one says "Dodge" to me, I think "Where's my barge pole". :wink:

One thing I would consider is weather the tone wheel for the crank is the same on both motors - number of teeth?

HTH
FF

edit: Not seen waveform

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Post by roadserpent »

Here is your waveform from the library. I think you have a poor ground somewhere.
Attachments
Dodge_Ram 1500_2003_Petrol_20160603-0001.psdata
(315.95 KiB) Downloaded 742 times

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Post by roadserpent »

sorry, i had turned off channel B while looking at the waveform. it was a very good 5 volts. channel A is his signal, channel C is his ground. Pico users can turn channel B back on if you like.

rburgy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by rburgy »

The flywheel was switched pver as it was the only one i had.
I agree with the bad ground also. However, i checked all volts inputs and grounds coming into PCM. All were good. I jumped a good ground to that pcm terminal, re-checked with the scope- and all of my waveforms were perfect and still no RPM.
I have a feeling the pcm is bad. I just need to be positive before i replace it.
Thanks guys for any input.

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Post by roadserpent »

I am going to assume that this Ram 1500 is a pick-up truck and not a van? Then I am going to assume that it was built for USA use? Do not condemn the engine computer until you first get a crankshaft signal ! No ECU in the world could make heads or tales about anything from the waveform that you posted to the library. I found a crank waveform in the library from a 2003 durango with a 4.7 V8 and will post it here, your signal from the sensor should look very similar to this. the spacing's may be a bit different due to the fact that to my knowledge there are two different reluctor rings used on this engine. they are mounted to the internal rearward part of the crankshaft, yes inside the F---ing engine and to change them you must remove the crank from the engine. for now you need to work on getting a good looking crank signal waveform first, that is my opinion.
Attachments
Dodge_Durango_2003_Petrol_20160603-0002.psdata
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 751 times

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

roadserpent wrote:I am going to assume that this Ram 1500 is a pick-up truck and not a van? Then I am going to assume that it was built for USA use? Do not condemn the engine computer until you first get a crankshaft signal ! No ECU in the world could make heads or tales about anything from the waveform that you posted to the library. I found a crank waveform in the library from a 2003 durango with a 4.7 V8 and will post it here, your signal from the sensor should look very similar to this. the spacing's may be a bit different due to the fact that to my knowledge there are two different reluctor rings used on this engine. they are mounted to the internal rearward part of the crankshaft, yes inside the F---ing engine and to change them you must remove the crank from the engine. for now you need to work on getting a good looking crank signal waveform first, that is my opinion.
From what I understand, that waveform was pre repair and no longer an issue since wiring replaced but still no RPM on scan tool. :?

Really need to see post repair.

From what I understand there is a 16 (early) and a 32 (later) tooth tone wheel on the crank not flywheel as RS has mentioned. The change over is around 2002 I think.
Learned that lesson (in fact many lessons) the hard way on a Ovlov motor swap. Same model, year and month.

HTH
FF

rburgy
OneWave
OneWave

Post by rburgy »

You guys hit the nail on the head. The good engine came out of a jeep product& was put into a dodge truck. As it turns out the crank shaft reluctor wheels were in fact different. Thank you guys so much for the help. I would have put a PCM in it and then been stumped.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Great to hear you got it sorted.

And thank you for the feed back. :D So many just will just walk away, to never be never heard of again.

Appreciated
FF