Volvo S40 2005 D4204T P0341

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
STC
Banned

Volvo S40 2005 D4204T P0341

Post by STC »

This vehicle was presented to us as a No Start, 0 Rpm, 4 bar Fuel Rail Pressure whilst Cranking. It will fire up on Brake Cleaner and can be held "reasonably" stable for a few moments.
The history, which cannot be relied on, is that it has had a new ECU fitted by Volvo in the last few weeks. Although the old ECU is in a Volvo Box in the boot, the ECU fitted to the vehicle looks to be in good health externally but it is Not New.
It can be believed that all 4 Injectors, HP pump, Timing Belt, CKP & CMP have been replaced, Aftermarket parts. The rest is guesswork for now.

DTC P0341 is set only upon cranking, each time.

Back probed at the controller I have taken this capture whilst cranking.

Comparing this to those on the Online Waveform Library, the closest I could find are 2 examples uploaded by Volrem from V50 models, a 2006 & a 2009.

Question is can I rely on these, being the same engine code and similar Siemens Controller, to confirm that the Valve Timing on my car is what I estimate to be some 35 - 40 degrees out ?
Attachments
D4204T Volvo CKP CMP - P0341 DTC.jpg

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Volvo S40 2005 D4204T P0341

Post by volrem »

Hi

As far as I have seen they all share same pattern so I would say that your timing is off.

Could you please post psdata file.

And if you care to share VIN (in private message) I could check something.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Volrem

Thank you for the swift reply
Find attached psdata file, I will post the Vin in the morning
Attachments
Volvo_S40_2005_Diesel_Cam Crank - No Start With P0341 - Suspect BAD.pssettings
(353.38 KiB) Downloaded 853 times

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi

This volvo S40 the uses the same engine type as a Peugeot 307 and a lot of other car manufacturers.
So - I found a reference waveform from a Peugeot 307 MY2004 HDI with the exact same engine type (RHR) from the reference library.

Seen with my eyes - is this cam/crank correlation outside specifications. :wink:
Peugeot_307_2004_Diesel.psdata
Peugeot 307 2004 HDI Cam/Crank Timing
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 885 times
Regards
Kim

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Kim,

Thanks, That waveform from the Peugeot 307 is identical to the 2 waveforms that Volrem has uploaded to the Library.

EDIT
So now I see that between 2004 -2009 the Cam Crank correlation on that engine did not change, mine being a late 2005 I'm sure I now have the information I need to take this forwards.

Thanks
Last edited by STC on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Volrem

I have sent you a PM with the VIN

thanks

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

This one has stumped me, I'm absolutely lost !!!

Pinned the Crank & Cam as per Autodata and it was spot on, got a experienced mechanic to double check it for me.
Then I removed the belt, top and bottom pulleys, the magnetic wheel on the crank. All serviceable and fitted correctly except for the Cam pulley, the locator had snapped off and was sitting in the Slot on the Cam.

Volvo Dealer was able to get one for mid afternoon, ordered and waited for it to arrive. Fitted the new one, Pinned, Timed & Tensioned the belt but no change.

Scoped CKP CMP, again adrift compared to known good captures from Library. There is now a capture for this Engine with CKP, CMP & Inj 1 Current in the library. Next removed Injector 1 (nearest belt) took a capture of CKP , CMP & Cyl 1 Pressure wih a pressure transducer to get a reference and some direction.

Spent some time calculating the amount of drift and a formula to correct it.

On this Particular Engine it is not possible to get any one of the three Cam High Signals (Centre of) to align with the "missing tooth" as per the "Known Good" traces. Based on my calculation that each Cam Tooth is 17.14 degrees Crank Rotation (42 Teeth on the Cam Pulley) I attempted that but it cannot happen without Piston Valve Collision.

I removed the Inlet manifold to check Internal Chain Timing between Inlet & Exhaust Cams. Not relevant as the ECU
can only see one cam nevertheless confirmed good.
With a long Screwdriver in Injector 1 bore ( nearest belt) to achieve TDC. I turned the cams to a rocking position (old school valve timing). This guess work timed the engine but with the Cam 180 out. Spin the Crank 360 and it all marries up as it should and Pins up.

Again Checked ECU Pins and Drag tested connector females. No Issues there.

After all these efforts, In Actual Values I have 0 Rpm and 0 Frp. And always a CKP CMP trace that is distinctly off.

This is the closest I can get it
Adjustments.png
What have I not done or not thought about ?

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi

I'm confused too in regards to how this engine are behaving. I dont have the technical specifications
from Autodata and as such not aware of how the procedure are described by Autodata regarding cam/crank timing.

But I´ve the Workshop manual over the same engine type that used by Volvo S40. This technical information are
from a Citroen C4 2004 which covers various engine types including Volvo's S40 engine which has this Id number (RHR).
What there could be interesting to know, how the the two procedures are explained or with other word - are there any differences between them !!!.

So when you use this workshop manual, look after the ID number (RHR) which are identical to this engine type
DW10 BTED4 which are used in the Volvo S40 car.
Citroen_2004_C4_Workshop_Manual.pdf
Citroen C4 2004 Workshop Manual
(9.54 MiB) Downloaded 777 times
Regards
Kim

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Hi

It's a French engine so they count cylinders from flywheel. So #4 is nearest to belt and #1 is nearest to flywheel.

I don't have my scope with me at the moment so I can't look at the file you uploaded but I will do that tomorrow.

However I don't understand how can you have injector current when no rpm and frp is present.

Timing is better than before but still off.

It's been few months since I last changed belt on this engine but I'm wondering if it is possible to install magnetic wheel other way around. Never tried and looked at it like this.

Also it would be nice to see Autodata info to compare with OE info.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

It's been few months since I last changed belt on this engine but I'm wondering if it is possible to install magnetic wheel other way around. Never tried and looked at it like this.
This something that crossed my mind. I don't know the engine but the ring moving was a idea. I'll try and get an image up that shows that is possible. Although I could be miles off which is why I didn't post earlier and not knowing the engine didn't inspire confidence. :lol:

Cheers
FF