Volvo S40 2005 D4204T P0341

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
STC
Banned

Re: Volvo S40 2005 D4204T P0341

Post by STC »

Yes I have several, here is one.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

OK so firing order is 1-3-4-2 and I can see a pattern of #3 cylinder problem. It's not constant but is repeating.

Suspecting injector issue.

EDIT: I would swap #3 injector with some other and check if it moves to different cylinder.
Attachments
s40-1.png
Last edited by volrem on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

I don't see anything wrong regarding the timing.

In terms of the functionality of the injectors I think you should check the other injectors just to rule this out in your diagnostic plan.

When we are talking about misfire and bad idling on a diesel you should also check the air mass sensor (MAF) for correct values either with a DMM, EOBD or even better with your Picoscope.

A high MAF sensor reading can really mess up the air/Fuel ratio (AFR).

Regards
Kim :wink:

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

volrem wrote:OK so firing order is 1-3-4-2 and I can see a pattern of #3 cylinder problem. It's not constant but is repeating.

Suspecting injector issue.

EDIT: I would swap #3 injector with some other and check if it moves to different cylinder.
First, as you know from the Serial & Vin Numbers I sent you, this car has a new & wrong Electronic Identity. This may have made matters worse because each time I use a Diagnostic Tool on this car I use the "AUTO ID" Function. I do know that it chooses the correct engine code :(

I swapped Injector 3 with 4 and as you suspected the problem has shifted.
Volvo With Violent Misfire.png
We can see that Cylinder 3 is now contributing much better and the offending Injector in Cylinder 4 is paralysing its contribution. Injector / Cylinder 2 are also highlighted as faulty in this waveform.
At ~1200rpm the misfire is quite violent, wasn't so bad before I swapped the injectors.

I think a new set of injectors is in order (at least 2 to start with)

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

STC wrote: First, as you know from the Serial & Vin Numbers I sent you, this car has a new & wrong Electronic Identity. This may have made matters worse because each time I use a Diagnostic Tool on this car I use the "AUTO ID" Function. I do know that it chooses the correct engine code :(
Well it doesn't matter because scan tool checks ECM diagnostic ID and chooses correct "library". And engine is the same so there is no difference.

I don't know if KTS lets you to choose injector class but worth checking if coded class is the same as injectors installed.

This will not cause misfire issues though.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I don't know if KTS lets you to choose injector class but worth checking if coded class is the same as injectors installed.
I am assuming that you refer to "Injector Coding" the "Calibration Code" Printed on the top of the Injector ? KTS doesn't have that function but I do have access to other tools that will. I can borrow VIDA if I get stuck.

The answer to the question is No! I have not, perhaps I should have but the misfire, injector behaviour is erratic. I don't believe Injector coding could cause such a Violent Misfire one minute and work fine the next. I will check coding before I buy any Injectors just to be certain.

This job is on Stop right now. The owner (a very nice man) has no trust in any garage, technician or dealer - I cannot blame him :? He has already spent £3500 pounds and has been taking a bus to work, and walking to the shops for months.

My Position is that the Engine Starts on the Key and Runs and produced an Invoice for that work. Payment of that Invoice must come before I purchase any parts, Solve the Misfire, Fix the Brakes, the DPF DTC Issues, somehow get it to show 90k and not 185k on the cluster.

This is life !
Last edited by STC on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

STC wrote:I am assuming that you refer to "Injector Coding" the "Calibration Code" Printed on the top of the Injector ? KTS doesn't have that function but I do have access to other tools that will. I can borrow VIDA if I get stuck.

The answer to the question is No! I have not, perhaps I should have but the misfire, injector behaviour is erratic. I don't believe Injector coding could cause such a Violent Misfire one minute and work fine the next. I will check coding before I buy any Injectors just to be certain.
Same thing yes. In VIDA it's named "Programming optimizing parameters" and injector coding called "classes". There are three classes that can be programmed (number on injector). Class 4, 5 and 6.

There is also option to "Reset adaptation values".

I don't think that either of these will cure your misfire problem but it would be just another variable to rule out.
STC wrote:This job is on Stop right now. The owner (a very nice man) has no trust in any garage, technician or dealer - I cannot blame him :? He has already spent £3500 pounds and has been taking a bus to work, and walking to the shops for months.

My Position is that the Engine Starts on the Key and Runs and produced an Invoice for that work. Payment of that Invoice must come before I purchase any parts, Solve the Misfire, Fix the Brakes, the DPF DTC Issues, some Hexidecimal Calculations, EEprom work so it shows 90k and not 185k.

This is life !
Being the last man is hard when client has spent large amount of money on "sorcerers". Many of them don't trust you and go away but others give a chance and be happy later.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

I've seen this on focus equipped with same engine the static timing is set by pinning the flywheel but the reluctor ring for crankshaft is mounted on a woodruff key ,problem is either gear can wear and slip when tensioning belt so your pins will go in but electronic timing wont correlate . The best way is to ensure toothed gear locked up against woodruff key on tensioned side ensuring it cant slip.
This might be too little to late but thought it worth a mention.
Danny

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Danny
but electronic timing wont correlate
You have hit the nail on the head. that was indeed the issue. If you read back through the thread, I can confirm that it is still in my possession pending some payment and will need additional work or I will be owning, fixing and selling it. Sh1t3 Customers, What can we do :(

If and when that happens, keep logging in, might need to pick your brains :D

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

No problem if you need any info I can pull some engine management stuff of etis regarding the fuel system . I always the bloke who genuinely spends time and endeavours to fix cars like this that gets shafted.
Danny