Volvo S40 2005 D4204T P0341

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Volvo S40 2005 D4204T P0341

Post by FioranoCars »

Well done STC

Great to hear you got there, and that it's fixed, and look forward to the final waveforms. Sadly it's a pain in the b## when others have played about and made silly mistakes (or worse), yet don't share the history, even when it was their own hands at play :-)

pop me a PM when you get a chance

Best
Richard

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

volrem wrote:Nice work. You corrected sensor ring location but didn't replace it?

Do you have known good waveforms to share. Pressure transducer capture would bevery useful,
Volrem

Right. I did not replace the Sensor Ring. I had sufficient evidence to condemn it as faulty. I enquired with the Dealer previously and they did not have the part in stock.

If you look at the picture closely you will see the White Paint marks on the CKP Sensor, the Silver Metal Boss (with the Keyway) and then the Brown Coloured Sensor ring. Those are all my markings

Again in that picture you can see the gap between the ring and the boss where I have just pushed it on enough for testing. I used a Hydraulic press to ease it off initially. It still needs to be pressed on fully but I am happy that it will seat nice and tight and not cause any issues in the future.

Although it now starts and runs, both front wheels, wheel arch liners, timing covers, inlet manifold, wiring loom needs to be put back together. Then there are hard faults for DPF Pressure Sensor Signal High, No Communication with Additive Module, EGR Signal High and maybe some others that I have too deal with.

I don't at the moment have any waveforms saved, but I will be looking at it again, the ECU is still out, the injector comes out easy enough so I will connect the scope and save some.

Make a little list and I will do that - I have 4 Channels.

Thanks again

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Great news STC.

Nothing like the sweet smell of victory.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Fat Freddy wrote:Great news STC.

Nothing like the sweet smell of victory.
In the famous words of Vinnie Jones ( Lock Stock )

It's been Emotional !!!

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

It gets worse, if you thought it couldn't !!!

It is a Can of Worms

Now I got fault codes for DPF Differential Pressure Sensor, it does not have one neither are the Pins in the ECU connector populated. Fair enough I can work through that some how. May be a bad code, bad description.

No Comms with Additive Module, Again Powers, Grounds and Communication Lines not something to trouble me too much for now

Partial Misfire / Rough Idling & Unburnt diesel smell out of the exhaust - Probably one of the new (Cheap Copy) Injectors, hopefully not a bent valve and low compression, again can be solved and understandable - It has had engine troubles and people have genuinely tried hard to solve them. I get that. Don't like it but that's life.

It has no Brakes !!! WTF !!!
Master Cylinder is Empty, Pedal goes to the floor and no signs of a leak or tampering anywhere.

That Eureka Moment of having solved the conundrum was somewhat short lived - What an anti climax.

I'm tempted to hang up my diagnostic boots and turn to the hard stuff

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Hi STC

I checked the VIN you gave me and this car DOES NOT have DPF. So no DPF pressure sensor and Additive Dosing Module.

It seems that used ECM was installed and only immo part was copied. Perhaps you should try old ECM but I think it won't start because probably immo was changed in CEM also.

As for misifire / rough idle it would be time to get crank and injector current for sync to see what cylinder is misfiring.
Also relative compression test with crank signal and injector sync.

Good luck with that alien.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

And it gets worse, just when you thought it could not
volvo invoice 1.jpg
Further evidence that this engine has not run for months

Why fit Bulbs ?? To make £3.00
Note the Mileage at 90,000 !!!

the Mileage at Nov 2015 was 90k it is now showing 185,000 miles. ???

Volvo fitted a new Ecu and the ECU in the car is NOT New ??

So I guess that it has gone elsewhere and had a new identity from another car, using second hand parts (ECU, CEM, DIM, IMMO, Key ...... ) From a car with a DPF.

They are slow coming up with money (hope that will change soon) because I have "Not Fixed it" :?

Happy Easter Guys !!
Last edited by STC on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Hi

Can you check if Vehicle VIN matches the VIN that is being read out by scan tool?

Also if ECM and CEM serial numbers match match.

And Volvo control units are in exchange program so I doubt that they left the old unit to customer. Another clue that it had another ECM change?

I just hate these wannabe hackers that screw up original software.
Attachments
s40.png

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I just hate these wannabe hackers that screw up original software.
Indeed, They could drive a nice, calm, law abiding man to the point where he would never get tired of Repeatedly punching them in the face :D They cause more trouble then they realise.

Moving on, Back to the Volvo :D

I could not find a quick way to Disable Start yet keep Injector 1 (or any Cylinder Identification other than removing Injector / glow plug and Pressure Transducer). I didn't have enough time for that today.
Does this Engine have Mechanical / Compression Issues ??

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

STC wrote: Does this Engine have Mechanical / Compression Issues ??

Not seeing that from this capture. Starter current and crankshaft speed is even.

Nothing stands out (for me at least) from FLS either.

Do you have a capture with crank and one injector when idling bad?