Ignition scope

Everyone loves a happy ending. Share your diagnostic success stories here.
tangoman
OneWave
OneWave

Ignition scope

Post by tangoman »

Customer comes in to my work asking do I have a Diagnostic tool that can tell you what's wrong with your car ?? sorry I said don't know off such a tool but wrong with you car I can have look if you like he said it does not idle too good the car was a 1955 Austen A 50 checking this car was no different then checking a car from 2016 the ignition system everyone should see that the fuel system was too lean by just checking the ignition on the 1955 Austen I did also use a gas analyze and it was only 0.2 % CO at idle but almost 2% at cruise . the car just had a blocked idle jet

if you have good look at the spark line l you can see this is a internal problem of the combustion chamber it run out of hydrocarbons when the spark line first started we had about 1.6 kv so we know the leads and the caps and the ignition system was great but it could not keep firing the plug because of no more Hydrocarbons you can use this test on new cars to see if you have blocked injectors . testing the car ignition system can give you more info then any test that I know of you can see if a car running lean rich if you have a worn engine all from just scooping the Ignition it something that a lot of workshops don't do any more
Attachments
DSCF3014.JPG
DSCF3011.JPG
car running very lean at idle
car running very lean at idle

clt
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Ignition scope

Post by clt »

Is this also possible to se on new engine, with digtal ignition???? or are they too quick to compensate for this???

tangoman
OneWave
OneWave

Post by tangoman »

The ignition system on a new engine is the same as the 1955 Austin A 50 ! you might be thinking I no its all new with COP coils and yes some times its had to get on to the primary with the transistor in the head of the COP coil and some times using the secondary can be very had but a coil is just a coil .. and yes new motors do run very lean but I still had be able to see a injectors low on flow by just scopeing the igniton system on most car

xandro
OneWave
OneWave

Post by xandro »

clt wrote:Is this also possible to se on new engine, with digtal ignition???? or are they too quick to compensate for this???
ola amigo sou do brasil exatamente do rj da cidade de mangaratiba, sou novo no forum e estou adorando participar. trabalho aqui com mecanica e analise com scanner e scop, qual o tempo de queima normal para um carro deste modelo antigo com bobina antiga? um forte abraço ai pra voce