Maximum pressure WPS600?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
taho

Maximum pressure WPS600?

Post by taho »

Hello.
What is the maximum pressure ( overload ) can withstand without damage WPS600 pressure sensor .
Thank you.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Maximum pressure WPS600?

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Taho and thank you for the post.

We must be guided by the Do's and Don'ts of the handbook that refer to the maximum permissible operating pressure of the WPS600....... 600 bar, 60 MPa, 8700 psi

Please also be aware the WPS600 is designed specifically for hydraulic fluid and no other liquid or gas.

(I know it can be tempting to try other applications!)

Please also ensure your connection/test hose is rated at 600 bar (minimum) as this too could lead to measurement error, not to mention the safety implication.

I hope this information is of some help, take care.......Steve

taho

Post by taho »

Thank you for the the answer Steve.
I was asking not about the operating pressure at which the measurements are made, and the possibility of sensor design to withstand short-term overload.
Try to formulate different: a short-term increase in pressure up to 601 bar damage the sensor? and the pressure is 650 bar? What short-term pressure sensor design can withstand without damage?
This option - part of the specifications and it is good to know the "ultimate strength", just for safety reasons.
  Thank you.

PicoChris
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoChris »

With all Pressure equipment you have to be very careful with pressure adaptors to work within the rated range.

All our pressure transducers are all individually tested to a pressure above the rated pressure and are designed to be safe for continuous operation at the maximum rated pressure. Typically the production test will be at 120% of the rated pressure for the WPS600C to ensure the units are mechanically sound. We have also done full destructive testing of units as part of the design process to support their recommended safe operating specifications.

Momentary excursions of the system pressure above the rated pressure but below the test pressure will not damage the unit but remember that the measurement performance in this area is undefined. Units are safe up to a maximum over-pressure of 1.5 times the rated pressure but this may damage the sensor or internals. Any pressure higher than this may cause damage to the unit.

I hope this helps

Chris

taho

Post by taho »

Thank you very much. Very useful information.

taho

Post by taho »

I use WPS500 sensor for many applications. Very good engineering solution. the only thing missing - the measurement of compression diesel engines above 42bar. I wish you continued success in your work.