PicoScope Basic???

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

PicoScope Basic???

Post by antthecat »

Hi all, just had a quick thought today. As silly as it may sound is there a possibility of looking into having a 'Basic' software level with all the preset probes ie volts, amps conversion, trigger but no functions like maths channel, serial encoding ect... as i sometimes feel there is too many functions available when im doing basic testing ie relative compression test, MAF/MAP signal output, checking 5v ref, abs sensors ect...

Just sometimes i feel like whilst waiting for the software to load i could have grabbed my handheld scope and done the test before the Pico is up and running.

Im not knocking whats available as its really good, just would be nice to have a quick basic scope software for when testing does not need to get too heavy.

Just a thought

Ant

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: PicoScope Basic???

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Ant, thank you for the post and the suggestions.

Its great to get users opinions because these are true responses based upon real life scenarios

I do understand what you are saying about a simplified software level for routine or maintenance tasks and this is where Pico Diagnostics fits well within the workshop.(Battery-Starting-Charging-Relative Compression and Cylinder Balance)

I can see the logic in a rapid set-up procedure for voltage measurements too and this is where the auto function of PicoScope can help where the time base and voltage level are set automatically depending upon the nature of the incoming signal
AUTO SETTINGS .jpg
Regarding the time taken for PicoScope to load, this is often dependent on the PC and the consumption upon the PC's resources by other applications.

Ten seconds should be more than adequate from clicking on the desktop PicoScope Icon to a "ready to use" application.

I am going to add your comments to a "New Feature Request" that has been running for some time for a simplified user interface and once again a big thank you for raising this concern

Take care........Steve

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: PicoScope Basic???

Post by antthecat »

Cheers Steve.

I have upgraded my pc on the scope trolley and its now fast loading, just my toughbook cf18 which I use in the field is now lagging so a basic would be ideal.

Also I know a few semi scopers panic as soon as they open up the Pico software due to too many functions comparing to a handheld or scantool scope. Would be a great way for newbies to get to grips as well.