Astra 2006 1.4 alternator ripple test

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
RoryMac

Astra 2006 1.4 alternator ripple test

Post by RoryMac »

Hi,

I hope someone could help me with this waveform. The ripples seem to be ok but I don't understand the 'flat spots' throughout the waveform. Is this a faulty diode or is this a normal condition?
Attachments
Opel_Astra H Twintop_2006 Alternator test.psdata
(6.52 MiB) Downloaded 742 times

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Astra 2006 1.4 alternator ripple test

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello RoryMac and thank you for the post.

Would it be possible to take this capture again but over a longer time frame? (200ms/div)

Why I ask, yes I can see the flat spots but they seem very sporadic when moving through the waveform buffer, rather than repetitive (in a specific pattern)

The AC ripple itself looks fine can I ask, was the engine speed stable (idle) throughout the capture and do you know if any load was placed across the battery during the capture? (E.g. cooling fan)

Engine speed and battery loading will all effect AC ripple, as will SMART charging systems where charging is often cycled and present when necessary.

If possible on recapture could you monitor Battery DC, Battery AC, Charging Current and any Communication line (SMART charge control) at the alternator.

Here we could see if the flat spots relate to alternator output, battery load or activity on the communication line?

Take care......Steve

LucaB
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Astra 2006 1.4 alternator ripple test

Post by LucaB »

Hello
To see well what happens in the alternator, you have to place clamp the output of B +
Best regards
Luca