Reference Waveforms

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Reference Waveforms

Post by Mark Dalton »

Can I create my own reference Waveforms I can use straight away? I want to be able to look at a known good signal, save it, then load that signal as a reference waveform to compare with the waveform on another car.

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Reference Waveforms

Post by PicoMike »

Mark Dalton wrote:Can I create my own reference Waveforms I can use straight away? I want to be able to look at a known good signal, save it, then load that signal as a reference waveform to compare with the waveform on another car.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the question. Yes you can do this.

Capture the good waveform as you normally would, then:

1. Choose "Tools>Reference Waveforms".
2. In the Reference Waveforms dialog, highlight the channel you wish to make into your reference waveform (they will be listed under the Available branch at the top of the left side).
3. Choose Duplicate.
4. This will have placed a duplicate of your chosen channel into the Library branch, and will be named something like "A (2)" (where A is the channel you have made a reference and the 2 is simply because A already exists).
5. Double click A (2), and rename the file to something suitable, and change the colour you wish the waveform to be when displayed.
6. Click OK.
7. Click OK.
8. Now open or capture the waveform from the faulty car.
9. Choose "Tools>Reference Waveforms".
10. Enable (tick) the box next to your recently created reference waveform under the Library branch.
11. Click OK.

Your reference waveform is now displayed, and can be moved/scaled just like any other channel.

Don't forget you can also load waveforms from the Waveform Library as reference waveforms (happy to give guidance here if required, just ask :) )

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Reference Waveforms

Post by Mark Dalton »

Thanks for that Mike, I managed to work out how to do it from one of the Tips & Tricks posts in the Forum, just took a bit of time to find it.
Your help is greatly appreciated.