DIESEL INJECTOR TEST

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
JOE TECH

DIESEL INJECTOR TEST

Post by JOE TECH »

Had Mondeo 20L Diesel with misfire 2009 TDCI also extended cranking to start
My diagnostic tests
Compression test with pico No fault
Scan tool live data injector correction values No 4 was 3 times higher than rest
Test signal Pico amp clamp all injector same Test pressure build up on cranking too long 1.9 secs
Leak off test No 4 three times higher than the other three
New injector fitted FIXED
My question can anyone help me with how to test identify the misfire on diesel with pico ? Best way to test
If it had been toyota or Mitsubishi injector in cam box big problem
Steve did a test for injector misfire on fuel rail ?
Would like some setting and graphs if pos
Thanks Joe

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: DIESEL INJECTOR TEST

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Joe and thank you for the post.

We have number of options for evaluating injectors and you may have read a couple of posts on here that talk about AC coupling of the fuel rail pressure sensor and injector "leak off" evaluation using the WPS500 pressure transducer. (Ideal for Toyota etc. where like you mention, injectors are under the cam cover)

http://www.picoauto.com/support/post316 ... ill#p31629

http://www.picoauto.com/support/topic9829.html

I believe both these threads are of real value with great contributions from all.

We therefore have a number of options at our disposal when evaluating injectors in a reasonably non-intrusive fashion utilising.......

The current clamp and test leads to evaluate the circuit and the "load" applied by the injector

Fuel rail pressure AC and DC coupled utilising the scaling and filtering features of the scope to evaluate the effect of each injection event on fuel rail pressure (Pulsations and induced voltages are present in this signal)

The pressure transducer for leak off tests to evaluate each injectors contribution to back leakage pressure pulsations

I hope this helps and any other techniques/tips would be most valued here given the amount of injectors we see and the costs involved in their replacement.

Take care.......Steve

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Iv'e been contemplating this ...............

tiepie-automotive.com/en/products/Miscellaneous/Diesel_Retour_Flow_Sensor_RFS400

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Forgot to mention the accelerometer test.

Used a a stethoscope we can monitor the vibrations present in the common rail to look at pump pulsations and the effects on the vibration levels as a result of injection events.

Again using the accelerometer on each individual injector pipe to monitor activity during each injection.

More food for thought, take care......Steve

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Robski wrote:Iv'e been contemplating this ...............

tiepie-automotive.com/en/products/Miscellaneous/Diesel_Retour_Flow_Sensor_RFS400
Robski

I am very tempted

Did you indulge ? Worthwhile ??

busjockey
OneWave
OneWave

Post by busjockey »

Steve were you using the nvh kit to look at the pressure pulsations of the Fuel Rail?