How to test Direct Injection Injector(petrol)?

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
sdhwave

How to test Direct Injection Injector(petrol)?

Post by sdhwave »

Basically as the heading, If I want to see the operation of a direct petrol injector how do I do it?

hope this question isn't too simple and that I was missing something :D

sdhwave

Re: How to test Direct Injection Injector(petrol)?

Post by sdhwave »

Ok, let me ask in another way, is the pattern on the scope similar to a port injector? and the main reason why I'm scared to try it is because I don't know how high the voltage spike will be when a direct injector turns off, I don't want to blow the picoscope :lol:

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and many thanks for your post.

I have attached a screen shot of a psdata file taken from a 2012 1.4l turbocharged VW Golf. This engine utilises the Direct gasoline injection style fuel system, and does present a waveform far removed from the conventional port injection systems.
Volkswagen_Golf_2012_Petrol_20140801-0001.jpg
The peak voltages seen on the VW injector peak around 70 to 80 volts with a peak current flow of 12.5 amps

When attempting to capture unknown signals you can utilise the current clamp as here you can connect without fear of damage to the scope and without intrusion into the circuit. Please be guided by the size of the cable you are testing as to which current clamp to select.

I would always recommend the use of an attenuator when measuring unknown voltages as this will protect your scope, and also please bear in mind that any cables protected with Orange trunking will be "High Voltage" and NOT to be measured without the relevant training and safety procedures in place. (My thoughts here are with Hybrid technology)

For "High voltage" measurements you then have the option to use the differential probes (TA041) so allowing you to continue measurements with your scope without fear of damage.

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

sdhwave

Post by sdhwave »

I learnt alot, many thanks Steve