NVH sensor which use?

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: NVH sensor which use?

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Asimos and thank you for your enquiry re training.

At present this is under discussion on how best to proceed as I personally feel a video demonstrating the kit in action would be a valuable asset, accompanied with a thorough revision of the included help-file by the technician.

The included help files are a course all off their own and it is worth noting there are 2 x NVH help files included with the BETA software!

The first help file is avaliable by opening the PD program and clicking on HELP before selecting any PD tests. Click on HELP then CONTENTS, then select TESTS and click on NVH. Here the help file will guide you through the setup of the tool and how to interpret your readings.

Possibly the most valuable help file that contains all the theory of NVH is available by selecting the NVH test when opening PD, cancel the "PicoScope NVH Analyser Setup Wizard, then click on HELP again.

Here you will now find "Show vibrate help" which will then take you thorough the principles of NVH and accompanying theories.

I would encourage you to read and digest as much as you can and remember to feedback if you are not sure about any of the content.

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Macfarad, sorry for the late feedback

The good news is the generic 3000 series scope WILL operate OK with the new NVH kit. No need to purchase a 4000 series scope other than to upgrade by choice form the 3000 series.

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Hi Steve

I can confirm that Version: 1.7.0 build 5 is unable to open posted file.
Attachments
trace.xml
(14.9 KiB) Downloaded 759 times

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Many thanks for the trace file Volrem, much appreciated and I will send this over to the software guys.

Take care.......Steve

macfarad

Post by macfarad »

steve smith wrote:Hello Macfarad and thank you for your post.
I have downloaded and ran the attached file using the current Beta software version 6.10.2 containing the Pico Diagnostics software version 1.7.0 build 5
All ran fine with no issues.
Could you confirm you have these versions installed?
If so could you uninstall and install the beta version again and feedback if you still have further issues?
I see Volrem already sent a tracefile concerning this error. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro, downloaded en re-installed the beta, but the error remains. Today I tried installing the beta on Windows XP system and I could open the file without any issues.

Now I'm studying in a Windows XP environment :wink:

macfarad

Post by macfarad »

steve smith wrote:Hello Macfarad, sorry for the late feedback

The good news is the generic 3000 series scope WILL operate OK with the new NVH kit. No need to purchase a 4000 series scope other than to upgrade by choice form the 3000 series.
So no special upgrade offer I suppose? :wink:

However: still great news and thank you for looking into that.

eric989
OneWave
OneWave

Post by eric989 »

Hi Steve,

When we recorded the amplitude of vibration with NVH sensor, how we know the vibration is acceptable or not? Is there any data define the value, such as smaller than 5mg is acceptable, larger than 5mg is unacceptable?

Many thanks.
Eric

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Eric, sorry for the late reply as we have been attending the Automechanika event.

Our perception of vibration differs from individual to individual and so "what level of vibration is acceptable" is an interesting question.

If we take a first order tyre vibration as an example (T1 tyre imbalance)

Assuming a road-test confirms no vibration in the cabin (experienced by the customer) and a maximum T1 vibration level of 7mg, then we can assume 7mg is acceptable for this vehicle set-up.

However a T1 vibration level of 7mg on a different vehicle set-up may present a detectable level of vibration to the customer.

Back to back testing of vehicles is always an invaluable approach allowing you to prove to a customer their vibration level is in fact a characteristic and not a fault when compared to an identical vehicle.

Experience is always key here as we all know that theories dont always translate into the real world and of course the more testing you carry out the more you build that subconscious data base of what is and is not normal.

I guess what I am trying to say is, we do not posses a data base of acceptable levels of vibration for vehicle components but the more we test with this relatively new tool the more we will all learn and the more data we will acquire.

I know this is not really an answer to the question, more of a question to a question but recent testing I have carried out on a known good vehicle recorded a T1 vibration level of 5mg at 70 mph.

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

eric989
OneWave
OneWave

Post by eric989 »

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your explanation. It helps.

Regards,
Eric

demodan
OneWave
OneWave

Post by demodan »

Hi,

I am looking at specifying a Pico scope and NVH system for assessment of sound quality and power inside caravans and motorhomes.

I am unable to find details about what ELM lead (J2534 standard interface) I would need to pick up RPM signals from CAN/OBD as Pico doesn't seem to sell it.

Can you tell me where I can get one from?

Also, is this a signal which would be fed into the 4th channel of the Pico scope (as I assume that the accelerometer would take the first 3 channels) or does it go straight into the PC and analysis software? When using the microphone, does this only use 1 channel as the sound signal is only 1-dimensional?

Is there a limit to the number of parameters that can be detected from CAN - could I pick up road speed as well and would I need to crack the vehicle CAN or is it fairly straightforward.

Thanks in advance

Dan