PicoScope Beta 6.9 Waveform Library Browser

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

PicoScope Beta 6.9 Waveform Library Browser

Post by Steve Smith »

This forum post is intended to provide a brief introduction to an invaluable new feature prior to full instructions being added to the manual. If you have any questions / comments about its use (including just wanting to thank the developers for adding the feature) then please post below.

If there was ever a feature of PicoScope Automotive 6 that was worth shouting about, it has now arrived. The Automotive Waveform Library has now been released.

I cannot remember how many times it would have been useful to have a comparison waveform for a circuit under test.

Often this would involve sifting through your own library, or ringing round colleagues in the hope you might get lucky.

Well, thanks to the team at Pico the new Beta Version of PicoScope 6 Automotive 6.9 contains a feature called “Waveform Library Browser” found under the “File” menu on the tool bar. This new feature will enable you to search a global data base of waveforms that have been uploaded by PicoScope users from around the world.
FILE-SELECT.jpg
To access the Waveform Library you must have an automotive scope connected and have a valid user name and password to the Pico Automotive Forum.
USER NAME AND PASSWORD.jpg
Once logged into the Waveform Library Browser you will find numerous “Search Options” allowing you to locate a relevant waveform for a specific manufacturer or model.

You can also search for a waveform using just the engine code, allowing you to locate a waveform that may not have been saved under your search entry, but is applicable to other models or manufacturers, given the engine may be installed on numerous other vehicles or brands.

With your search criteria filled in, click on the “search” button

For example, searching by Engine code under the “Engine details box” for Injector voltage under the “Channel details box” may reveal an injector for a range of vehicle models. E.g. Enter engine code “2AD-FTV and Injector voltage” then click on the “Search” button. This will reveal an injector waveform saved originally as a Lexus 220D but is also applicable to Avensis, Rav 4, Auris and Verso.
SEARCH DETAILS.png
WAVEFORM SELECTION.jpg
With your search criteria filled in, any relevant waveforms will be displayed as thumbnails. Click on the relevant thumbnail to enlarge the image for a brief overview of the waveform structure.
ENLARGE WAVEFORM.jpg
Should you wish to download a reference waveform or waveform with settings to your PC, click either the “Load” button to download the reference waveform, or the “Open Waveform” button to download the waveform with scope settings.

Your selection will now be downloaded ready for analysis using your Picoscope software, and ready for you to run your scope, so capturing the identical waveform with all Voltage-Time-Trigger-Probe settings pre-configured (if you selected "Open Waveform").
WAVEFORM DOWNLOADED.jpg
The waveform library at present contains over 250 waveforms loaded internally from within Pico Technology, and here is where we can all contribute.

Once logged in, you can upload your own waveforms to the library enabling everyone to view, download and save your uploaded waveform.

Your input is most valuable as anything you choose to “Save and Share” or “Share” from the new Beta software will not only save to your PC but will also be uploaded to the Waveform Library.

As we all know, labelling and identifying waveforms is critical for reviewing at a later date and this is where we really need your valuable input.

Should you choose to upload a waveform to the library, can you add as much detail as possible to the “Vehicle Details Box” as this information will be invaluable to the next technician (wherever they may be) regarding the waveform they are viewing. Please imagine yourself as the technician viewing the waveform you are about to upload with no more information than VW-GOLF-INJECTOR and no detail on fuel type, engine code, engine size, model year, test condition etc. etc.
VEHICLE  DETAILS BOX.jpg
Thank you for taking the time out to read this post, I sincerely hope this proves to be an invaluable feature and of course any feedback would be most appreciated (Good or bad) Please be aware this exciting new feature is still in its infancy at the Beta stage and so you may identify a couple of glitches that we need to be aware of to enable a swift resolution.

Please note, the maximum file size for uploaded waveforms is set to 20 MB, and when uploading waveforms no "Customer Details" will be included.

Take care……Steve
Last edited by Steve Smith on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: PicoScope Beta 6.9 Waveform Library Browser

Post by volrem »

Massive. This look very promising and great feature. And the fact that this is integrated to Picoscope is very convenient.

Keep them coming.

eric989
OneWave
OneWave

Post by eric989 »

Fantastic! It will be great useful for technicians.

Thanks.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Shame it's not downloadable for those time you have to go to those people that own vehicles that have the problem.

Im sure some of you have meet those people, the ones that expect us to have every tool, be it diagnostics or otherwise for every vehicle on the road, the ones that, again expect us to keep spend spend spend on tools and then moan about the bill.

Do dentists have to keep upgrading their equipment, once they have that torture chair and their little drills and stuff they're sorted.

Here's what they charge:

Initial Consultation- new patient examination (excluding x-rays) Free of Charge
Routine Dental Examination (6month check up) £40
Routine Hygienist Appointment (time dependant) £43.50/ £54.50/ £65.50
Intra oral X-ray £25 each
Extra oral- OPG £50
Full Case Assessment from £200
Composite filling from £110
Extraction from £135
Surgical extraction from £165
Surgical extraction of wisdom tooth from £350

Endodontics
Single Root Canal from £405
Multiple Root Canals from £555-£600

Crown (per crown) from £635
Gold Crown (per crown) from £635
Bridge (per unit/tooth) from £635
Veneer (per tooth) from £635
Tooth Whitening from £350
Gum Shield from £90

Single Dental Implant from £2000

Fixed Wire Orthodontics/per arch from £1000/per arch
Invisalign from £3500
Orthodontic Retainers from £200

Single Dental Implant !!!!!!!!!!!!! what's it made of that it cost 2 grand ????

we're in the wrong job !!!

Rant over :oops:

Thanks
Last edited by Liteace on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Also shame if you're not connected to the NET with the lappy/PC.........

I try to minimise any conflicts or chance of corruption on my Pico laptop by not being on the NET or having much else installed.

EDIT: pretty much the same as Liteace states, I misread it at first !
we're in the wrong job !!!
Indeed !!

BUT you don't see the public buying dental tools to DIY, BUT they buy a Pico :?
Last edited by Robski on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Yes it would be good if it's downloadable and could be used without scope attached also.

But why should Pico spend money on development and give it away for free to people who doesn't own a Pico scope. Personally i have net connection all the time so it doesn't matter to me.

I have used a bit and looks great but still needs work.

And I would also like to have similar search function for my own files in my laptop.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

But why should Pico spend money on development and give it away for free to people who doesn't own a Pico scope. Personally i have net connection all the time so it doesn't matter to me.
Download/Install the software, join the forum, carry on using TiePie/Hantek etc ?

I don't see your logic there ??

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

One thing that annoys me that default setting when saving is "Share and Save". Is it possible to change it to save only?

Usually there are lot of caputers that i don't want to share before editing or share at all.

And there is no error message if i choose to share but not logged in.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

volrem wrote:One thing that annoys me that default setting when saving is "Share and Save". Is it possible to change it to save only?

Usually there are lot of caputers that i don't want to share before editing or share at all.

Be sure you don't use alarms with save buffers. It will try to upload everything. :?

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

volrem wrote:One thing that annoys me that default setting when saving is "Share and Save". Is it possible to change it to save only?

Thanks for the feedback - we are discussing the default settings / different ways of doing this. One option might be to have a the save button and a separate save and share button so its a one click choice.

If there are any other suggestions on how to improve the new feature do let us know. Its a lot easier for us to make changes whilst the software is still in a beta than later on.