V70 cranks but won't start NO fuel pressure

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
alanjackson

V70 cranks but won't start NO fuel pressure

Post by alanjackson »

Hello all,
I am desperately trying to get my 2003 V70 to start.
There is no fuel (petrol) getting to the fuel rail, nothing when the valve core is removed and the engine is cranked over.
I have replaced the fuel pump relay and checked the fuse.

The questions I would like some knowledgeable forum member to answer are.
1. Should I hear the pump run when the ignition is turned on – or do I need to crank over?
2. How can I connect 12 volts to the fuel pump directly to test it? THERE IS NO PEM on this car.
3. Should the fuel pump relay ‘click’ when the ignition is turned on?
4. Does the ‘crank sensor’ have anything to do with the fuel pump operation?
5. If the rev counter is working when cranking does this mean the ‘crank pickup sensor’ is OK?

I am sure there is some genius out there that knows the answers and any information would be very much appreciated, Thanks, Alan

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: V70 cranks but won't start NO fuel pressure

Post by volrem »

1. Should I hear the pump run when the ignition is turned on – or do I need to crank over?

Pump should run for couple of seconds when you turn ignition on and then stop. When you crank then pump will run constantly.

2. How can I connect 12 volts to the fuel pump directly to test it? THERE IS NO PEM on this car.

Last connection to fuel pump is under rear seat directly on top of fuel pump. Blue and Black wire. You have to remove right rear seat backrest to get into service cover. No connectors between Central electronic module and fuel pump.

3. Should the fuel pump relay ‘click’ when the ignition is turned on?

Yes, for a few seconds.

4. Does the ‘crank sensor’ have anything to do with the fuel pump operation?

Not really. At least not in a way that would cause your problem.

5. If the rev counter is working when cranking does this mean the ‘crank pickup sensor’ is OK?

Basically yes.

ronw38
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: V70 cranks but won't start NO fuel pressure

Post by ronw38 »

Hi , Volrem has answered your queries . You need to check power at the pump the blue wire is power from the relay the black wire a body earth , check for battery voltage between these two . If OK give the tank a good thump the pump may start. If no power you need to back track fuses, relay and relay switch on signal and pump earth , if it starts with a thump you need a pump . To run pump manually hook a jump wire [fused] from battery plus to blue pump wire .