Nissan Micra CAM/CKP known good needed

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Nissan Micra CAM/CKP known good needed

Post by volrem »

My post was reply to landroverman1958 how claimed that CR14 1,4L (from first post) has same pattern as 1,2L he posted image about.

We can arque what means identical engine but there are engines that are the same with same engine code but pattern changes in years. So if engine code is the same but cam reluctor is different (and ECM software changed) while all other parts in engine are unchanged then yes it's not identical engine but basically it's still the same.

One has to consider than pattern may be different for same displacement engines (even with same engine code) between model years.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

volrem wrote:My post was reply to landroverman1958 how claimed that CR14 1,4L (from first post) has same pattern as 1,2L he posted image about.

We can arque what means identical engine but there are engines that are the same with same engine code but pattern changes in years. So if engine code is the same but cam reluctor is different (and ECM software changed) while all other parts in engine are unchanged then yes it's not identical engine but basically it's still the same.

One has to consider than pattern may be different for same displacement engines (even with same engine code) between model years.
Yep! Been bitten hard by that. Two volvo's. Same model, same engine code, same year, same month even same colour. Simple engine swap. Different cam reluctors, different throttle body manufactures, different ECU's. Simple engine swap became a pain.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

The reason I posted was because landroverman1958 was describing what is considered a good Nissan 1,3,4,2 waveform should look like.
What I wanted to point out was a bad waveform did not necessarily mean a bad cam, sensor or capture. It was as 'Speck' pointed out 'cam flop' that caused the odd pattern. Worn timing chain and engine had been left to sit to allow oil to drain back from tensioner.
A new chain almost eliminated that 'flop'.

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by speck »

Hi ,cam flop occurs on very new engines too. Don't need to have any worn parts (chain or gear). The oil pressure is just
not enough at times, also at idle. However cam flop is not the cause of a no start.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

speck wrote:Hi ,cam flop occurs on very new engines too. Don't need to have any worn parts (chain or gear). The oil pressure is just
not enough at times, also at idle. However cam flop is not the cause of a no start.
Hi. I'm aware cam flop can occur with new engines.
A new chain almost eliminated that 'flop'.
However cam flop is not the cause of a no start.
What I was pointing out is what can be considered a good or bad waveform can be distorted by cam flop. It does not indicate a bad sensor or reluctor. The cam flop I was dealing with created a very hard start that took several cranking attempts. A no start? For sure. Because until that flop was removed by oil pressure through cranking it will not start.