non start, range rover p38

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: non start, range rover p38

Post by Technician »

When I was at college back in the 1980's we covered the internal combustion engine theory quite well. We were told that during the induction stroke (Which some now call the Suck stroke, which is absolute nonsense) that the fuel was drawn into the cylinder. Carburetors (Many will probably not know what those are anymore) past fuel into the intake manifold and when the intake valves opened fuel was drawn in. (In theory). None of this could be seen by the human eye, and back in the day (for me anyway) advanced technology to tell me differently to the text books was not available.

There is nothing wrong with the theory except you can't see what is happening on the Induction, Compression, Power and Exhaust strokes. In the late 1980's around 1988/9 our lecturers started to teach us about fuel injection systems and electronic ignition. We were told that when the inlet valves open fuel is injected into the cylinder from behind the inlet valves, so we understood (In theory) that when the inlet valves opened fuel sprayed into the cylinder (On the induction stroke). We were also trained in the understanding of valve trains which were understood as 'Lead, Lag and Overlap' periods. making up numbers here they were shown typically like this; 40:60:85:25 etc, today most in the garage trade would be lost with information like that. So we back in the day understood that the valve train during operation had an overlap period, and during this overlap period both intake and exhaust valves were open together for a time period, thus the intake NEW charge would help Expel the exhaust burned end gasses out of the cylinder, this being ready for the next fresh charge of fuel to be burned.

When I first observed the fuel injection event taking place on the PicoScope I too thought like many that the injection event was taking place in the wrong part of the engine cycle, but through 'Professionals' on here and the use of PicoScope I learned in more detail about the operating cycle of the OTTO in a dynamic sense rather than a text book sense, which does not mean the books are incorrect, but you can't actually see through understanding what is actually happening inside the cylinder and when from a book.

PicoScope has opened up the viewing of the internal combustion engine in a way that previously only the vehicle designers and manufacturers probably had access to. For us now on the shop floor to have access to the levels of equipment we now have thanks very much due to PicoScope, we can now see inside the modern engine just like designers and really see what is going on and mathematically work out when each part of the events take place in the OTTO cycle.

Using the PicoScope along with the WPS500x allows the technician to have an insight today that was previously only available to the selected few.

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: non start, range rover p38

Post by speck »

Hi, hopefully Tom Roberts at Autonerdz has put you right where injection takes place, also Technician has spent some time to give you something to think about.