non start, range rover p38

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Kudugar
OneWave
OneWave

Re: non start, range rover p38

Post by Kudugar »

Technician wrote:
Kudugar wrote:HI

i have now rescoped with better settings. seems fuel injection trigger is way out vs cylinder pressure and spark on cyl 1 with wpx 500. it remains non start
Fuel injection event seems OK to me where it is, i.e. just before the inlet valves start to open.
Hi Technician, thanks for response. From my previous tutorials wached for no start i thought injector opens right befor spark is trigered and this is ms before peak cylinder pressure to give power stroke. The red curve is the spark just befor tdc and blue wpx cyl 1 pressure test, as expected but injector trigger confuses me as its after the power stroke nearly on exhaust opening if i understand correct? The vehicle does not even give sound of cylinder firing. All injectors does fire and all cylinders has spark but seemed to be not marching to ignite fuel. When using quick start no stumble start is experienced yence me thinking crank may be 180 deg out, as i understand crank controls injection and cam spark? What would.your ideal settings be for this testing?

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by speck »

Hi, your secondary shows no spark. Doesn't look like secondary to me. Your injector setting is also way off. Can't see
any Attenuator connected to the scope. The cranking speed is about 90 rpm. Difficult to make out your compression data,
compression is there but wouldn't comment on valve timming. Better have an other read in guided tests. Also your secondary is upside down. Is this a waste spark system?

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by speck »

Hi, sorry my mistake, your rpm is about 180, your KV is also very low with this kind of compression. looks like you
got a sync. probe connected not a secondary lead.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Kudugar wrote:
Technician wrote:
Kudugar wrote:HI

i have now rescoped with better settings. seems fuel injection trigger is way out vs cylinder pressure and spark on cyl 1 with wpx 500. it remains non start
Fuel injection event seems OK to me where it is, i.e. just before the inlet valves start to open.
Hi Technician, thanks for response. From my previous tutorials wached for no start i thought injector opens right befor spark is trigered and this is ms before peak cylinder pressure to give power stroke. The red curve is the spark just befor tdc and blue wpx cyl 1 pressure test, as expected but injector trigger confuses me as its after the power stroke nearly on exhaust opening if i understand correct? The vehicle does not even give sound of cylinder firing. All injectors does fire and all cylinders has spark but seemed to be not marching to ignite fuel. When using quick start no stumble start is experienced yence me thinking crank may be 180 deg out, as i understand crank controls injection and cam spark? What would.your ideal settings be for this testing?
I'd like to guess that the spark at the plugs is too weak to ignite the fuel given that the engine cranking speed is around 150 rpm!

Should the engine cranking speed not be around the 250 rpm mark!

If the cranking speed is indeed so low, what then is causing this?

1/ Battery!
2/ Starter motor!
3/ Starter motor circuit operation!
4/ Tight engine!

If I'm correct about the starter cranking speed, I'd suggest you connect the PicoScope and open up the diagnostics software and carry out a starter cranking test, and then lets have a look at the results before moving forwards!

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi Kudugar

I looked at your latest upload which seen with my knowledge looks fine and yet did I find something that maybe could be a problem. I´m here talking about the reference mark at the flywheel and the position of the missing two teeth which according to my information should be 60 degrees before top dead center (BTDC).

In your file the reference mark is at 70 degrees BTDC. What and if that has any influence on your engine problems I dont know, but it seems a bit odd to me.
REFERENCE MARK 70 DEGREES BTDC
REFERENCE MARK 70 DEGREES BTDC
Regards
Kim

Kudugar
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Kudugar »

REFERENCE_MARK_70_DEGREES_BTDC.jpg

I have just realised that the injwction of cyl 1 is actaully happening on the exhaust stroke although the waste spark is happening just before tdc combustion stroke as expected. Form my understanding the injection cycle should by in the inlet stroke before compression stroke. In thus i seem to be of the understanding that the crank may need to be rotated by 180 deg to correct as crank sensor determine the fueling strategy. Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Regards
Kim
-->
KimAndersen wrote:Hi Kudugar

I looked at your latest upload which seen with my knowledge looks fine and yet did I find something that maybe could be a problem. I´m here talking about the reference mark at the flywheel and the position of the missing two teeth which according to my information should be 60 degrees before top dead center (BTDC).

In your file the reference mark is at 70 degrees BTDC. What and if that has any influence on your engine I dont know, but it seems a bit odd to me.
REFERENCE_MARK_70_DEGREES_BTDC.jpg

I have just realised that the injwction of cyl 1 is actaully happening on the exhaust stroke although the waste spark is happening just before tdc combustion stroke as expected. Form my understanding the injection cycle should by in the inlet stroke before compression stroke. In thus i seem to be of the understanding that the crank may need to be rotated by 180 deg to correct as crank sensor determine the fueling strategy. Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Regards
Kim