Battery testing

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
kukushka
OneWave
OneWave

Battery testing

Post by kukushka »

Hello,

It is my first time using the PicoDiagnostics battery tester. I could not access the starter motor and the battery was in the back, so I measured from there.

The engine rotates very slowly and has a hard time starting, there are no known mechanical hindrances. The software states the battery is good, any thought's otherwise? The car was hard to start in this capture.

It is a VAG TDI with a strange intermittent fault. It starts right away, runs for 5 seconds and stalls. Re-starting, and the cranking is very slow, half of the original speed. This time it would run only after a long time of standing, when this capture was taken. 98% of the time, no problems.

Temp sensors read OK, no fault codes. Most likely there is no trapped air, injector o-rings and mechanics have not been inspected yet.
Attachments
1.JPG

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Battery testing

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Kukushka,

Thank you for your post and it's great to see you utilising PD and the battery tester.

I think the tool has given you the right outcome in this instance, the need to recharge the battery. The reason for the 0% state of charge is because it falls below the value in the software to determine this percentage. The state of charge is based on the initial voltage that was detected upon connection, in this case 11.5V. I would need to check but whilst at Toyota we used to work on the basis that anything below 11.5V was between 10% and 20% SOC so would require charging before going any further.

The other thing you have mentioned here is the battery being in the boot meaning the starter motor cable will be nearly the length of the vehicle. If you have a slow cranking speed still after charging, I would most certainly look to check the voltage drop of the cable between the battery and the starter motor.

Here is a link for further information on battery testing and how the software arrives at the results it does.

post77701.html#p77701

I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Ben

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Battery testing

Post by Doig5710 »

Hey just check voltage drop, have had a porchse with a vag tdi engine and it had big voltage drop between body and starter, big new earth lead between body and engine block, reduced cranking time and also faster cranking