Nissan Juke abnormal noise

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Nissan Juke abnormal noise

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
I have here a 2012 Nissan Juke /1.6 gasoline /MR16DDT with an abnormal noise and loss of power.
No faults stored in ECU,so I tried to find the source of noise.
Voce 002_sd.rar
(298.1 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
and the loss of power.
In the stall test only 2230 rpm was recorded(compared to 2500-300 what is specified) so the loss of power of engine was confirmed.
Then I recorded the "noise" using some MEMS accelerometers placed on engine and CVT.
Nissan_Juke_2012_Petrol_20180911-0010.psdata
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 758 times
-as you can see the engine noise is bigger in the first stage of acceleration than the CVT noise...in the end the timing chain cover was identified as the source of noise.
The oil level in engine and CVT was checked,oil pressure was checked and was found ok(no drop of oil pressure when noise appear)
Nissan_Juke_2012_Petrol_20180911-0009.psdata
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 666 times
In the last capture both OCV was disconnected,so I don't know if the reference for MR16DDT can be used to tell something about the chain elongation(before OCV disconnection I checked the supply
Nissan_Juke_2012_Petrol_20180911-0011.psdata
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 661 times
Any advice is welcome.
Best regards,
Victor

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Nissan Juke abnormal noise

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Victor and thank you for the post and captures.
I will feedback on your NVH question in the other post topic20941.html?&view=unread#unread

Looking at captures 009 and 0011 with stable engine speeds in both captures, I can see very little difference in the cam crank correlation

Capture 009 below has 3.56° at my point of measurement (850 rpm)
Victor 009
Victor 009
Capture 0011 has 4.31°at my point of measurement (1290 rpm)
Victor 0011
Victor 0011
I like the use of the accelerometers to locate the area of concern, which is invaluable information in itself.

Forgive me here as I am not sure if the vehicle is now rectified, but are we looking to conclusively diagnose a worn timing chain?

Listening to the audio recording it does sound like a continual scraping/contact noise from a rotating component with the occasional “contact” or foul condition with an adjacent component (I hope that makes sense)

With regards to correlation issues using cam and crank sensors, do we have a cam sensor for inlet and exhaust? If so could we add the additional Cam sensor and try Cam Crank correlation with OCV’s disconnected……

1. From cold at fast idle
2. When hot at idle
3. Finally the tricky capture, Cam Crank Correlation when hot during the transmission from idle to WOT and again during overrun as the throttle is released.

If we can get point 4 in one capture we can look at the effects of chain whip/flex etc. under these load conditions.

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello Steve and thank you for your support,
Until now only some measurements was performed,without any repair.
Today I made some new captures with both (inlet and exhaust)OCVs disconnected:
- at fast idle(the engine temperature was 26-28*C,the engine speed was 1380-1420 RPM).
Here the difference in the cam crank correlation is 4,3*
CRANK vs Inlet CAM at 1360 RPM.png
-after WOT with the throttle released the difference in the cam crank correlation is 7.2*
CRANK vs Inlet CAM at 3700 RPM.PNG
Also the engine compression wasn't good(minimum must be 12 Bar,standard must be 15 Bar) and the measured and corrected values was:11.5,10.5,10.5,11.5 and the valve clearance wasn't good at cyl 1 and 4
wrong exhaust valve clearance at cyl4.PNG
(the exhaust valve must open at 25* BBDC and the intake valve must open at 7*ATDC).
Best regards,
Victor

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Victor, thank you for the feedback.

Just to clarify, we have advanced exhaust valve timing due to reduced or no valve clearance?

Was this vehicle running with a gas (LPG) conversion?

I ask because I have had a number of engines where the exhaust valve seat depletes rapidly where the vehicle covers many Miles/Km's per year without any precautions taken to save the valve seat.

Regarding the timing chain, we have an alleged shift in correlation by approx. 3 degrees, could we recheck image 2 in your post above as I believe our 720 degree marker is incorrect?

It would be interesting to see how the correlation changes during the WOT and over-run conditions.

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello Steve and thank you for your support,
No the car not have LPG supply,only gasoline/direct injection .
Yes,on cyl 1 and 4 the exhaust valve opening is advanced with 12-15* compared to cyl 2 and 3(and technical specs of the engine).
Image 2 wasn't good,here is a new one
Capture at 4244 RPM.PNG
Best regards,
Victor

philippe parent

Post by philippe parent »

hello, i now the post is old but does your waveform for cam vs crankshaft are good or for stretch chain

thank you for your time.

Philippe

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

philippe parent wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:54 am
hello, i now the post is old but does your waveform for cam vs crankshaft are good or for stretch chain

thank you for your time.

Philippe
Hello,
The captured signal was good,no chain elongation.
Best regards

philippe parent

Post by philippe parent »

hello I look your wave form from the 14 and the fisrt wave have a green trace square wave do's this trace is your exhaust camshaft sensor

thank again for your time