Citroen Jumper 2.2HDI 4HV 2009 Runs on 3 cylinders

Everyone loves a happy ending. Share your diagnostic success stories here.
Martinjensen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Citroen Jumper 2.2HDI 4HV 2009 Runs on 3 cylinders

Post by Martinjensen »

This Citroen was towed in with a customer complaint that it runs on 3 cylinders, and there is a loud knocking or puffing noise from the engine
1.PNG
The first thing I did was to perform a relative compression test, to verify the mechanical state of the engine. Something is definitely wrong with this engine, lets look at the details.
Blue: Starter motor current
2.PNG
The amperage consumption for cylinder #4 is very high
Something is clearly wrong with cylinder #4, or is there???
3.PNG
Lets look at what the cylinders are doing on 720 degrees of crank rotation. The firing order is 1-3-4-2
4.PNG
I wanted to gather as much evidence as possible before opening the engine. So I mounted the WPS in the exhaust and cranked the engine again. The pattern is not uniform, we will look at the details later.
Red: Exhaust pressure

5.PNG
This capture is made with the WPS mounted in the intake manifold. Notice the peak that matches the high current consumption for cylinder #4
Red: Intake pressure

6.PNG
If we look at the intake pulsations in details we can see, that when the intake valve on cylinder #1 opens. Instead of a drop in pressure, that we would expect from a normal cylinder. We get a burst of pressure in the manifold.
Now we are on the right track.
Red: Intake pressure

7.PNG
Lets look at the details from the exhaust pressure waveform
8.PNG
If we compare our waveform to the piston position chart, we can se that the exhaust valves on cylinder #1 is not opening. But why would this give a high current consumption for cylinder #4, and a pressure burst in the intake?
9.PNG
I then moved the Pressure transducer to cylinder #1. Now it is 100% clear that the exhaust valves on this cylinder is not opening. Resulting in an additional compression event, instead of an exhaust event.
Because its companion cylinder (Cylinder #4) is on its compression stroke, and this cylinder (Cylinder #1) is also compressing the trapped air on the exhaust stroke, the starter motor requires allot more current to rotate the crankshaft past this point, resulting in the large current rise on cylinder #4 compression stroke.
When the intake valve for cylinder #1 opens, this trapped and compressed air is released through the intake valves and into the inlet manifold, resulting in the large pressure burst we could se in the intake pressures.
This release of pressure almost sounded like a small gun shot.
Red: In-cylinder pressure, cylinder#1

10.PNG
Now with all the evidence gathered is was time to open the engine.
As you can see from this picture the 2 exhaust rocker arms for cylinder #1 was destroyed.
11.PNG

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Citroen Jumper 2.2HDI 4HV 2009 Runs on 3 cylinders

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you so much for sharing this case study.

This highlights one of the many features of the WPS pressure transducer when it comes to evaluation before intruding into the vehicle and starting the disassembly process.

Had we used a compression gauge to measure compression, the values obtained would have been good and the potential to move one and miss the error is high indeed.

I speak from experience where I missed this exact fault with a fractured rocker using a compression gauge.

Thank you again, take care......Steve

Mechatronics007

Post by Mechatronics007 »

Thank you for sharing,

I we only have the starter current and firing order, we could find fast the Problem when we have big current from one cylinder :D

RBMACDONELL

Post by RBMACDONELL »

Hi Martinjensen.

Excuse my ignorance, I cannot see what I have missed. What made you suspect that cylinder 4 is the cylinder that is drawing excessive current in the relative compression test? I cannot see a reference to any event that reveals it is cylinder 4 in the starter current consumption test.

The rest of the case study I understand and have learnt plenty. Thanks for taking the time to share, very well done

Martinjensen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Martinjensen »

Hello RBMACDONELL

You have not missed anything. :D
We need to reference the starter motor current to a known event, to be able to identify cylinders.
That reference you are mentioning, is not shown in this case study, cause i lost that capture. :oops:
Therefore i labeled the events manually to be able to make this case study.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards Martin.

RBMACDONELL

Post by RBMACDONELL »

Martinjensen wrote:Hello RBMACDONELL

You have not missed anything. :D
We need to reference the starter motor current to a known event, to be able to identify cylinders.
That reference you are mentioning, is not shown in this case study, cause i lost that capture. :oops:
Therefore i labeled the events manually to be able to make this case study.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards Martin.
Thanks Martin for the clarification,

I am glad to know that there is not some magical way that you figured that out. I thought that there was something I have missed out on for the last few years of research :D As with most pico users, I am always looking to learn more.

Take care

sigoaprendiendo
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by sigoaprendiendo »

This is an excellent case of study.
Thank you very much Martin. This files helps a lot to sharpen our skills.
Have a great day

Kind regards
Dario