VW Fuel Metering Valve voltage

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Brad H

VW Fuel Metering Valve voltage

Post by Brad H »

Hi all,

I have a VW Amarok in my shop for a no-start. The customer sent the ECU away at some stage for a tune & the tuner sent the wrong ECU back.
When they plugged it in it blew the 'fuel pump' fuse. They finally realised it was the wrong ECU & had the correct one sent to them.

After this it wouldn't start. The did notice the Fuel Metering Valve (FMV) was getting hot.
They replaced it , still couldn't start it so had it towed to me.
After checking all circuits I found the fuel system was failing to make rail pressure.
It would randomly hit correct pressure & start after about 10-15 seconds of cranking, with the engine idling the FMV was seeing a peak voltage of around 18 volts.

KOEO this circuit was seeing 17 volts ,then, KOEO it rose to almost 19 volts.
My personal vehicle is a 2015 Amarok with a CSHA engine & I checked the same circuit and saw 14.7 volts at idle & 12.8 volts KOEO.
Anyone seen this problem before?

2012 VW Amarok 2.0 litre bi-turbo diesel
Engine code: CDCA
Attachments
My FMV.psdata
(444.54 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
KOEO then key off.psdata
(616.61 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

ronw38
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: VW Fuel Metering Valve voltage

Post by ronw38 »

Hi Brad H KOEO if the voltage across the battery is normal , the high voltage at the FMV may be due to some form of bleed off or voltage leak from the injector capacitor circuit ? as the ECU has been modified I would be conferring with the tuner. Also check ECU voltage inputs are normal. You are fortunate to have your vehicle as a comparison . cheers Ron