how's it work?

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
jez1342
OneWave
OneWave

how's it work?

Post by jez1342 »

have just downloaded it but havent used it yet (cos its late). how about a rough explanation of how it works just from battery connection. or is it magic at work?

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: how's it work?

Post by Alan »

jez1342 wrote:have just downloaded it but havent used it yet (cos its late). how about a rough explanation of how it works just from battery connection. or is it magic at work?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Arthur C Clarke

jarvissamuel

Post by jarvissamuel »

Hello Alan and Jez. I have played with the software some and like it so far given Pico Technology's improvements in time it will be incredible software.

The pico scope have high enough resolution that a 20X vertical zoom on dc voltage it is possible to see the changes in voltage cranking and since there is direct correlation between amperage and voltage this changes in dc voltage mimic using an high amp inductive current probe. This is most likely how the basic function works for the relative compression test.

The cylinder contribution is probably a similar design but observes change throught alt output. One manufacture already has a software package like this but I do not believe it does the compression and I am sure it costs way,way more.

I have tried looking at small voltage changes to try to determine faults and unless its a huge fault it is not very obvious so I can truly appreciate what the pico guys have done.

Sam

Rich_Barton

How it works

Post by Rich_Barton »

Hi Group:

I have been playing with this and hooking up to every car that comes in the door.

I had a Ford windstar that came in I hooked up to the IDS which is the Ford Factory tool with power balance test and relative compression test built into the software which gets it readings from the cranks sensor I understand they work different ways but the results were the same.

I ran both on pico and Ids to see the results and power balance test and pico's cylinder balance test showed the same results with slight misfire on one cylinder very nice work guys.
On the relative compression test they both passed the IDS said they all were 100% and the pico I think was more sensitive but they were very close I don't think I can up load my screen shots to this forum if not maybe I will put them on autonerdz.

I do alot of carlot work and I showed them a print out of one of there cars and they were all over it.

know they want me to use it to check out motor's at there lots to do a quick check of health before they spend alot of time on a car.
good work guys

Now if we can just get it where we can do a firing order to know which cylinder is the problem.

Nice work pico.

Rich :D

Euro Performance

Post by Euro Performance »

Hi Group ! After running the relative compression test, and the cylinder balance test, how are we going to identify which is #1?

thank you
amir
euro performance
Amir