TA204 - not reading spark

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
jbrewton

TA204 - not reading spark

Post by jbrewton »

Are there some coils that can't be read with the TA204 COP signal probe? I was testing it on a 2007 Honda Odyssey and it would not read anything. Did not have another COP vehicle to test at the time.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: TA204 - not reading spark

Post by PicoKev »

jbrewton wrote:Are there some coils that can't be read with the TA204 COP signal probe?
Absolutely yes :D

You have to remember the the TA204 or any other similar device (due to the non intrusive nature of the tool) is only able to pick up signals that have effectively "leaked" past the components insulation.

COP coils are are very variable in their insulation levels I have had examples of vehicles that are running perfectly that will give a good signal on some coils and absolutely nothing on another. Experimenting on where you place the probe can sometimes help enormously! :wink:

Also the coil design can be a factor the four wire type being especially challenging.

Just like all tools the TA204 has its uses and also its limitations, experience and using it on known good vehicles as often as possible is by far the best way to get the most out of the tool.

All the best.
Kev.

jbrewton

Post by jbrewton »

Thanks PicoKev.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

I forgot to mention.....

Do not forget that the TA204 does not just work on COP it will pick up any stray signals from almost any actuator that involves a solenoid.

As a quick non intrusive test it is great for injectors, also many control solenoids. You can get some fun "Squiggly Lines" from motors as well.

Wave it around the engine bay on some components whilst they are doing work. (Bi-directional control from your scan tool is useful for learning purposes.) Do not take too much notice of the presets, just start off on a 1 Volt scale and adjust from there, you will probably have to reduce down to the millivolt range and as i said before positioning plays a large part in the whole process.

As long as you do not stick it in the rotating bits you cannot really do much harm and experimentation is a great way to learn. 8) :)

All the best,
Kev.