J2534 device for NVH

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
automotivemd

J2534 device for NVH

Post by automotivemd »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pass thru device for the NVH to read RPM Speed etc? I originally was able to use my Escan pro, but that has stopped, I tried my Bosch VCI, Flasher pro and my OTC MVCI with nothing working. Any ideas?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: J2534 device for NVH

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post.

Assuming the devices you mentioned are Pass Thru devices (via the J2534 Protocol) they should function with our NVH software.They will however require the relevant Driver to function as a Pass Thru device

I know with a number of Bosch users with Pass Thru devices a firmware update was required accompanied with a "Check Box" requirement to "Enable Pass Thru" within the relevant software. This would also be Hardware specific and I refer to the KTS 590

The device we recommend is from our friends at Drew Technologies and the lead is their MongoosePro ISO/CAN2
https://www.picoauto.com/download/docum ... /MM091.pdf

The lead can be purchase via your Pico Distributor or direct from Pico if this helps?

Take care.......Steve

automotivemd

Post by automotivemd »

Thanks Steve, I purchased the Mongoose and still cannot connect too 2 vehicles, a 03 7.3 diesel Excursion and a 99 lincoln town car, but it seems to connect to newer vehicles quickly. Any ideas?

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

automotivemd wrote:Thanks Steve, I purchased the Mongoose and still cannot connect too 2 vehicles, a 03 7.3 diesel Excursion and a 99 lincoln town car, but it seems to connect to newer vehicles quickly. Any ideas?
Hello,
On diesel cars from 1996 to 2003 OBD II not offer a complete coverage,also your purchased Mongoose ISO/CAN 2 can support only ISO,KWP and CAN protocols ,not J1850 VPW and PWM protocols(for this you will need Ford or JLR Mongoose) .
I think a ELM327 clone or a Bosch KTS with passthru firmware will work better.
Best regards

automotivemd

Post by automotivemd »

Wow, Victor, great info thank you. I'll get busy with this advice thanks again.