New to Pico

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Smedly

New to Pico

Post by Smedly »

Hello everyone. I get my Pico 4425 tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. The first scope I learned to use was the ATS 8ch scope. I've also used an OTC and Autel. I recently sold my Snapon Verus Edge because it was just overpriced and the updates were astronomically priced. I'm back to a Launch scan tool and new Pico scope. My plan is to first use the scope with my Toshiba laptop but I've ordered an Acer 10 2-1 tablet and will be using the beta software for touch screens. Any tips for using this setup? Thanks. :D

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: New to Pico

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Smedly and welcome to the forum.

I have no doubt there will be a lot of information here as you begin this journey and we look forward to your feedback throughout

The stable and beta versions of PicoScope will function fine with both your Toshiba and Tablet, not sure about the specs of your tablet but could you confirm you have USB 3.0 to take full advantage of the 4425.

This is not essential but if its a new purchase (Tablet) go for the full options

Tips for set up are pretty much plug and play, download the free software:
https://www.picoauto.com/downloads

Plug in PicoScope to your USB open the PicoScope or Pico Diagnostics software and off you go

Pico Diagnostics is a good place to start with Battery system tests and Relative compression

Coming back to PicoScope the Guided Tests found under the Automotive Tab will get you under way with the setup of your scope.

They are also online here:
https://www.picoauto.com/library/automo ... ided-tests

No doubt you will fine tune these as your proceed.

Should you have any questions, the forum is here to share and we have support@picotech.com for anything and everything Pico

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Welcome to the Pico family, Smedly. 8)

I see you have had a long and expensive journey on your way to a Pico.

I'm sure you have discovered that the Snap-On can outperform the ATS and that the OTC and Autel are virtually useless. Your Pico is up to a thousand times more powerful then the Snap-On scopes.

My advice out of the gate would be to use the current release PicoScope 6.12.7.2724.

The current beta 6.13.1.3117 is a build that we do not recommend you use. It crashes when using certain functions. The beta builds can live alongside the release versions on the same PC though. They do not share settings, probes, math channels, etc. This allows you to explore new features while having the familiar version available to use when needed. So, feel free to explore the beta. Just be aware that this build is unstable.

Smedly

Post by Smedly »

My new tablet has USB 3.0 and a 32gb sshd. 2 gb ddr3 ram. I hope 32 is enough. I figure I can always resort to saving files on a thumb drive if I have to. The tablet was only $200 so if it has some obvious limits I can upgrade later as I become more familiar with my Pico. Thanks for the reply Steve.
Steve Smith wrote:Hello Smedly and welcome to the forum.

I have no doubt there will be a lot of information here as you begin this journey and we look forward to your feedback throughout

The stable and beta versions of PicoScope will function fine with both your Toshiba and Tablet, not sure about the specs of your tablet but could you confirm you have USB 3.0 to take full advantage of the 4425.

This is not essential but if its a new purchase (Tablet) go for the full options

Tips for set up are pretty much plug and play, download the free software:
https://www.picoauto.com/downloads

Plug in PicoScope to your USB open the PicoScope or Pico Diagnostics software and off you go

Pico Diagnostics is a good place to start with Battery system tests and Relative compression

Coming back to PicoScope the Guided Tests found under the Automotive Tab will get you under way with the setup of your scope.

They are also online here:
https://www.picoauto.com/library/automo ... ided-tests

No doubt you will fine tune these as your proceed.

Should you have any questions, the forum is here to share and we have support@picotech.com for anything and everything Pico

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

Smedly

Post by Smedly »

The snapon scope was pretty good but I really didn't like how it zoomed. It felt counterintuitive and hard to manipulate. One main deciding factor for me to sell it was my scan tool and scope were combined. It was a real pain when I had it hooked up the a car looking at waveforms and then had another diag come in that needed to pull dtc's. I really needed to separate my tools again. I've been looking at Pico for a while and decided it was time.

I'm glad you pointed out that the stable version will run just fine with the touchscreen tablet. It will be cool to try it but my new tablet won't be here until next week.

I got my Pico set up today on my older laptop but haven't used it on a car yet.

Thanks for the reply Autonerdz.

Autonerdz wrote:Welcome to the Pico family, Smedly. 8)

I see you have had a long and expensive journey on your way to a Pico.

I'm sure you have discovered that the Snap-On can outperform the ATS and that the OTC and Autel are virtually useless. Your Pico is up to a thousand times more powerful then the Snap-On scopes.

My advice out of the gate would be to use the current release PicoScope 6.12.7.2724.

The current beta 6.13.1.3117 is a build that we do not recommend you use. It crashes when using certain functions. The beta builds can live alongside the release versions on the same PC though. They do not share settings, probes, math channels, etc. This allows you to explore new features while having the familiar version available to use when needed. So, feel free to explore the beta. Just be aware that this build is unstable.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the feedback.

Regarding the concerns with the Beta software...
Could you send over any crash reports or psdata files for the symptoms you mentioned in the new Beta software?

I will then collate them into a bug report as send them over to the software team.

Take care.... Steve.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Steve. Sent this information shortly after it came out in September of last year. Just sent another crash report...

We all quit using it so not sure what other problems there might be. Just try to edit a custom probe. That crashes it every time....

The current release is great!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you again for the feedback re the crash.

Yes, just reproduced it with the current beta (3117) and will ensure this is added to any existing bug report or create a new one

I have just loaded a test beta build (3503) and there was no crash (which is great)

Build 3503 may not be the next beta but it does indicate a possible fix has already been implemented

Take care......Steve

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Thanks for double checking, Steve.

The Pico dev team have always been responsive and have good aim with the bug spray. :shock:

I assumed that this one would have been dealt with before the next release. Sometimes the bugs scurry about and are not so easy to pin down....