Motorcycle COP Lead Options

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
flyinphill

Motorcycle COP Lead Options

Post by flyinphill »

I am about to purchase a 4425 primarily for use on modern 4 cylinder sportbikes. One of the things I need to be able to do is to view the secondary side of the coils on the dyno at high RPMs and loads. I foresee that trying to do this with the PP357 COP probe is going to be problematic as you can't really hold the probe on the coil, underneath the fuel tank, while simultaneously running a WOT pull on the dyno.

So I considered getting a MI074 and TA037 lead setup so that we could more positively clamp the probe in place while making dyno pulls. But my problem is that the TA037 has automotive spark plug connectors, which won't work on a motorcycle plug or coil. Does Pico make any solution for this application?

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Motorcycle COP Lead Options

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Flyinphill,

Welcome to the Forum! Great to see Pico reaching out the Bike world and when I've finished it I've got some interesting results from a Triumph Bonneville with the 270 degree crank!

With regards to your application the MI074 pick up leads would be your best option but as you say the HT extension leads are suited for the automotive plugs. However, the tops of conventional spark plugs do unscrew and therefore look like the ones you would see for a motorbike. The TA037 also do the same and the tip will unscrew which would mean you can screw this end onto the plug in the bike and the unscrewed end should fit into the HT lead or coil pack of your bike as previewed below.
TA037 with tip removed.jpg
It maybe that the plugs you have feature a slightly different size thread which may require a different tip but I'm sure a local motor factors would be able to send you a plug which you could utilise the tip from.

Hopefully this helps and would be great to see your results.

Kind regards

Ben

flyinphill

Re: Motorcycle COP Lead Options

Post by flyinphill »

It maybe that the plugs you have feature a slightly different size thread which may require a different tip but I'm sure a local motor factors would be able to send you a plug which you could utilise the tip from.

Kind regards

Ben

That is good information. As you stated, getting the plug boots to fit the plugs is an easy fix, as the plugs can be removed and have a terminal nut screwed onto them. The big issue is with the other end of the leads fitting into the coils. But I see by the picture you included that is also an easy fix by, again doing as you described, removing the nuts from the coil end of the leads.

Problem solved, Thanks.

BTW: My scope is on the way, due to arrive on Friday. I am sure I will have some follow-up subjects once I get it in my hands.
-->
ben.martins wrote:Hi Flyinphill,

Welcome to the Forum! Great to see Pico reaching out the Bike world and when I've finished it I've got some interesting results from a Triumph Bonneville with the 270 degree crank!

With regards to your application the MI074 pick up leads would be your best option but as you say the HT extension leads are suited for the automotive plugs. However, the tops of conventional spark plugs do unscrew and therefore look like the ones you would see for a motorbike. The TA037 also do the same and the tip will unscrew which would mean you can screw this end onto the plug in the bike and the unscrewed end should fit into the HT lead or coil pack of your bike as previewed below.

Kind regards

Ben

That is good information. As you stated, getting the plug boots to fit the plugs is an easy fix, as the plugs can be removed and have a terminal nut screwed onto them. The big issue is with the other end of the leads fitting into the coils. But I see by the picture you included that is also an easy fix by, again doing as you described, removing the nuts from the coil end of the leads.

Problem solved, Thanks.

BTW: My scope is on the way, due to arrive on Friday. I am sure I will have some follow-up subjects once I get it in my hands.