Audi A4 2.0 TDI Rough idle

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Audi A4 2.0 TDI Rough idle

Post by grunf1976 »

Hi,
Sorry for late reply lot of work.... :D . The problem I had was with 2012 VW Passat. Car came with EGR fault code, but they already changed not one but two and only then decided to ask for help.
When the car was cold idle was unstable and when you start driving it feels like its misfiring and there was a slight judder. It was more noticeable because of DSG transmission. Problem started to disappear as the temperature rises and when it reached over 70 degrees C it ran normal. Did all the tests, EGR, DRV, IMV, MAF.... and it all lead me to believe that it has something to do with amount of fuel. Took of injectors and had them tested. Only one passed the test on the bench. Had them repaired and recoded car ran excellent. No symptoms or fault code.
Two days ago has Skoda Superb same thing....

Hope this helps..
Mickey

nelnun
OneWave
OneWave

Post by nelnun »

grunf1976 wrote:Hi,
Sorry for late reply lot of work.... :D . The problem I had was with 2012 VW Passat. Car came with EGR fault code, but they already changed not one but two and only then decided to ask for help.
When the car was cold idle was unstable and when you start driving it feels like its misfiring and there was a slight judder. It was more noticeable because of DSG transmission. Problem started to disappear as the temperature rises and when it reached over 70 degrees C it ran normal. Did all the tests, EGR, DRV, IMV, MAF.... and it all lead me to believe that it has something to do with amount of fuel. Took of injectors and had them tested. Only one passed the test on the bench. Had them repaired and recoded car ran excellent. No symptoms or fault code.
Two days ago has Skoda Superb same thing....

Hope this helps..
Mickey
Hi, thanks for your reply!
Well, it seems that yours symptoms were a little bit different! I've never had any fault code! I've replaced all the 4 injectors, it is better, but the problem when restarting the engine after 3/4m from cold, it is still there :roll:

nelnun
OneWave
OneWave

Post by nelnun »

Some updates and tests:

When cold, it idles right. Turn engine off with a coolant temp around 36ºC. Turn back on and still idle fine. When coolant temp reaches 39,6ºC (can take 1 or 2 minutes), after 6 to 15 seconds, rough idle appears (if I turn engine on with coolant temp around 40-45ºC, rough idle starts immediately). Looking to VCDS, just after the rough idle, injection quantity increases and fluctuates between 6-9mg and injection deviation starts to increase too (I've seen a maximum of +2.2 mg/str), sometimes on injector 1, next time injector 3, injector 4 sometimes also... I've never seen bad positive values on injector 2. I've swapped before, injectors 2<->3 and 1<->4. Positive values moved from 2 to 3, 1 and 4 have both positive values, it depends! Usually, only 1 injector at a time has a deviation >2mg/str. But, in ome tests that I've made, when it has a rough idle, all deviation along the 4 injectors are between +0.5 and -0.5mg.
Inject_3
Inject_3
If I disconnect the intake manifold flap motor plug during the rough idle, intake flaps are in the "opened" state and idle is back to normal. Injection quantity and injectors deviation decreases and estabilize:
Inject_4
Inject_4
If I disconnect the flap motor and then move the motor shaft to the close position with my finger, when it is almost full closed, idle is back to normal and so are injection quantity and injection deviation:
Inject_5
Inject_5
I'm starting to believe that dealer is right and this is an injectors issues...

Another test:
Inject_6
Inject_6
What I've done so far:
- Injectors ultrasonic clear (only the nozzles on the machine water)
- Intake manifold flaps ultrasonic clear (flaps seem to open and close fine)
- Lambda sonde replaced

Sorry for the loooong post :oops:

nelnun
OneWave
OneWave

Post by nelnun »

What do you think about the difference between Rail pressure Specification and Rail Pressure Actual?
Could this be related to a faulty DRV?
Rail press 2
Rail press 2
Injectors already replaced with no joy... :roll:
Last edited by nelnun on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi Nelnun

The injectors you replaced are they new or used and have they been recoded with the correct IMA number from the injectors !!!.

Regards
Kim

nelnun
OneWave
OneWave

Post by nelnun »

KimAndersen wrote:Hi Nelnun

The injectors you replaced are they new or used and have they been recoded with the correct IMA number from the injectors !!!.

Regards
Kim
Hi Kim,
They are all 4 refurbished by bosch. IMAs were recoded, but it doesn't matter as when the engine has a rough idle, it is behaving the same ways as before!
Every time I start the engine with a coolant temperature around 40ºC, it'll always idle bad, i.e. If I shut down the engine with a coolant temp of 80/90ºC and let it cool down for 1h/2h and start the engine, rough idle and the exhaust bad smell are back!

I've removed the DRV today and cleaned it, no joy! I've mande a "trim reset" (coding II = 10008 ), let see tomorrow, but I don't think it will work!
Could this be a sw issue? I didn't update it yet to the new "NOx" version!

Beware that the pressure diference between spec and actual only happens in the rough idle! From cold or warm, the difference is very small!

nelnun
OneWave
OneWave

Post by nelnun »

About the rail pressures.

This is a normal cold start. Spec value is always stable, it is always the same, only actual pressure fluctuates a bit, but I think that's normal:

Cold Start
Rail Pressure_4.jpg
And this is what I think that is not normal, pressure spec fluctuating a lot. Why is the ECU continuously changing spec values? What could originate this?

Rough Idle
Rail Pressure_3.jpg
Edit: In this last graphic, I've used info from "High Fuel Pressure - (specified)" on vcds group 19-2 and the first one from group 20-1, and even with the same name, they are different! 20-1 is a stable value, 19-2 is not!

nelnun
OneWave
OneWave

Post by nelnun »

This is how it idles!
Unfortunately, this time, I was unable to have a very rough idle to show you the engine failing and shaking, it is difficult to replicate when the temp outside is cold (13ºC o this case), but it is there and it is "visible" when I start moving the car, as it kangaroos till around 2000rpm.
Check the rattle injection noise when accelerating up the hill.

https://youtu.be/Z_H58acVpyw

nelnun
OneWave
OneWave

Post by nelnun »

Meanwhile, I've made a few more tests! I've connected a potentiometer to the coolant sensor plug to emulate an engine temperature of my choice! I've emulated 41ºC and 45ºC in a cold and warm engine!

With the engine cold and 40ºC of emulated temp, after around 5s of start and there is the rough idle again! With the engine warm, rough idle was not perceptible, but as soon as I start moving, it kangaroos with a very rattle injection noise, as usually! Idle and behaviour is always back to normal after 1 or 2 accelerations over 2000RPM!

What I was able to conclude is that when I start the engine with a coolant temp of 40ºC to 50ºC, it'll always have a rough idle/rattle injection/kangaroos, no matter what the real engine temp is! What I've found strange is that some Specification values (like Exhaust Gas - Recirculat, Injection Start BTDC) have a value before shut down and after restart, they have lower values, and that doesn't happen when the coolant temp is outside the range 40-50ºC.... But the differences are very small and should not explain the rough idle, but probably there are some other values (injection?, etc) that change as well......

Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Can we see a Crank Sensor waveform, with at least 4 or 5 revolutions across one screen, when it is running bad ?