New PicoScope Test: Ford Focus Smart Alternator

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

New PicoScope Test: Ford Focus Smart Alternator

Post by PicoMike »

Here's a new test that we're about to include in the PicoScope software: the 'Smart Charging Alternator' system used on the Ford Focus. The test includes connection instructions, example waveforms and technical notes. Please see the attached PDF and PicoScope waveform files.

We would be very interested to read your comments and suggestions for improvement.
Smart Charging Alternator.pdf
Ford Focus Smart Alternator help topic
(518.23 KiB) Downloaded 3839 times
smart_alt_idle.psdata
Ford Focus Smart Alternator waveform for PicoScope
(903.7 KiB) Downloaded 2277 times
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

edagrade

Re: New PicoScope Test: Ford Focus Smart Alternator

Post by edagrade »

Great article.
The jump start warning is well worth mentioning too - however perhaps more detail about that would be helpful eg to answer some questions;
1) I presume the warning applies to jump starting from another vehicle & damage could occur to it?
2) Would it be safe to jump start using just a spare battery that is not connected to another vehicle?

Thanks heaps :)
A Grade Mechanical Services - Service at its Best

obd.tech

Post by obd.tech »

Hi all :)
Can someone please check the details in this pdf (also in the readme helpfile in the PicoScope 6 software.
Self confessed newbie idiot to this test, and i think there are errors in the notes on channels B & C ?
Contradictions or i was too tired for my newbie brain to compute clearly :? on a late night problem solve (new alternator not working right :evil: & customer pressure :( .....that's another story)
Help notes that confuse are ......?
Tell me if i got it wrong.......keep up the good work guys.......life's a learning curve :?

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

obd.tech wrote:Hi all :)
Can someone please check the details in this pdf (also in the readme helpfile in the PicoScope 6 software.
Self confessed newbie idiot to this test, and i think there are errors in the notes on channels B & C ?
Contradictions or i was too tired for my newbie brain to compute clearly :? on a late night problem solve (new alternator not working right :evil: & customer pressure :( .....that's another story)
Help notes that confuse are ......?
Tell me if i got it wrong.......keep up the good work guys.......life's a learning curve :?
What's wrong & more to the point does it matter what's said in either the PDF or help file ?

There are 3X pins scope them all.....what you got ????

OE alternator ?

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

I would like to know if there are errors in the PS Help file, but I need a clearer indication of where?

If it is confusing but technically correct I can look at re-wording that section...
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Today I checked a 2006 Volvo V50/1.6D/YV1MW765262226700 wiih a charging issue:1410 and 1420 -fault codes related to the alternator.
The wires between alternator and ECU was checked,was found ok but I don't have PWM signal from #c-b1(ECU)/pin 2 (alternator )and the generator signal at #b-a3(ECU)/pin 1 (alternator),only supply on pin 3 from fuse f31.
According to the repair manual if the wires isn't broken or shorted then I must replace the regulator...or I must check something before?Why I can't see the PWM control signal from ECU?
Here is the captured signal
Thank you
Attachments
Volvo_V50_2006_Diesel_20180103-0001.psdata
(6.07 MiB) Downloaded 681 times

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

These Denso alternators are known to fail regulary on these cars. But need to check anyway.

Alternator may be faulty and could pull control signal to ground. Disconnect connector and measure signals then. Altarnator should provide 12V to Pin2 and ECM pulls it to ground. If it's disconnected then you have lower voltage but signal is present.

Image file from good car with connector disconnected. Key on egine off.
Alternator disconnected
Alternator disconnected
And image from good car with good alternator. Key on engine running.
Good alternator, engine running.
Good alternator, engine running.

Blue - alternator voltage
Red - Control signal from ECM
Green - Feedback signal from alternator

Wiring diagram shows these as pin 3, 2 and 1 but i have these marked in pico as Pin 1, 2 and 3. So the other way round. Can't check now but think they were reversed and wiring diagram was incorrect.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
The alternator shorted to gnd at pin 2 the PWM signal from ECU.
With the alternator disconnected/key on,engine off I have the signal like in the first image.
In the attached image I have ignition on at 3,4 sec,starter engaged at 4,9 sec,engine starting at 5,9 sec and alternator charging faulty detected at 6,5 sec.
Where I can find this info in VIDA?
Thank you volrem
Attachments
Volvo_V50_2006_Diesel_20180104-0002.psdata
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 649 times

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

From that capture it's safe to say that you need new alternator. I recommend new Denso unit. Denso is rather bad but lot better than other replacements.

But please specify what information you want to find in VIDA?

None of information from my last post can be found in VIDA. Except ECM pinout and signal description but you already knew that.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

volrem wrote:From that capture it's safe to say that you need new alternator. I recommend new Denso unit. Denso is rather bad but lot better than other replacements.

But please specify what information you want to find in VIDA?

None of information from my last post can be found in VIDA. Except ECM pinout and signal description but you already knew that.
Hello,
The repair manual didn't show any waveform,also in EWD the signal between alternator and ECU is CAN type ,in VIDA(signal description) is PWM ... :?
Thank you
Attachments
20180103_173953.jpg