abnormal cop 3 wire circuit design

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
colley390

abnormal cop 3 wire circuit design

Post by colley390 »

hi guys, I recently scoped a cop 3 wire design coil, I was connected to the power feed using my amp clamp on channel A and connected to coil control using test leads on channel B, (luckily I used attenuator - you will see why) I was under the impression that the transistor for the coil was internal to the cop and the ecm produces a 0-5v approximately turn on signal to activate and start ignition, dwell time dependant on ecm,the coil having a ground, 12v feed and a signal, well please find attached a copy of the waveform, as you can see the signal wire is not a 5v turn on control via the ecm but actually as I see it the primary coil ground, this proven by seeing a primary ignition waveform, I will attach the diagram of the circuit and waveform, any input on this design would be great.

pin 1 - coil control
pin 2 - coil ground
pin 3 - 12v
Attachments
cop control and current ramp
cop control and current ramp

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: abnormal cop 3 wire circuit design

Post by Tronic »

Hi colley390!

Have a look at attached file with a 3 wire COP from a BMW E46 as an example. Did also put some text on how it works.

Regards

Bjorn
Attachments
BMW COP Picoauto.JPG

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi

As seen in this wiring diagram which is from a Citroen 1.6 litre engine code ( EP6CDTX ), it's clear, that the primary ignition system are turned on and off inside the ECU and not at the ignition coil (COP).

You used the attenuator on the picoscope which seen hindseided was wisely done if you dont know circuit in details.
CITROEN EP6CDTX 1.6L IGNITION SYSTEM
CITROEN EP6CDTX 1.6L IGNITION SYSTEM
Regards
Kim :wink:

colley390

Post by colley390 »

Thanks for both your replies guys, it appears it actually is quite common, I just haven't personally ever come across this before and was a little surprised, another circuit design to add to the memory bank!

kind regards ryan :wink: