Merry Christmas

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Merry Christmas

Post by Technician »

Merry Christmas everyone,

I sincerely hope Pico is on the Christmas list for those not owning it yet :)

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Liteace »

Yes as long as it's trade only, it's a struggle as it is, letting Joe public have access to professional díag equipment and info just makes it harder

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

I am in the category Joe public and I’ve seen so much bad trade, I won’t let my cars on trade hands ever.
Merry Christmas.
Last edited by liviu2004 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

One must not condemn everyone in the trade as there are good ones out there, normally recognised by their years of professional training in their chosen areas of expertise, not just the image and bricks and mortar that people normally look at, and who is the cheapest in the area, which is seriously misleading and undermining the professionals. In the UK the IMI are now along way down the road to achieving a licence for auto-electricians, this I know as I am involved in the discussions, and hopefully now it won't be too long before action follows the words of wisdom and makes it reality for all professionals.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Technician wrote:. In the UK the IMI are now along way down the road to achieving a licence for auto-electricians, this I know as I am involved in the discussions, and hopefully now it won't be too long before action follows the words of wisdom and makes it reality for all professionals.

And what difference is that going to make, it's not going to stop weekend Joe buying professional tools and having access to info/forums then doing the professional tech, who does it for a "living" out of work, the one that pays tax on what he earns, pays rent for workshop, pays all the yearly subs on equipment, went to college for 2 + year, spent 30K of his own money and still spending to keep up

What other trade do you know of where that happens, you don't get weekend HGV transport, doctors, dentists gynecologist :lol: structural engineers, tattoo studio, it's only really the motor trade

People say, why do we charge so much, we don't, we don't charge enough if you compare

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

I’m watching a youtube video where a Mastertech has no idea what a canbus gateway does and he needs one minute to figure out that two parallel 120 ohms would make a 60 ohms total. He works for a dealership.
Waste of money rent tax and time. When these people dissapear from branch I put my car back in garages.

My next case study I hope, car went to 3 garages + one opel dealer and P0014 remains. They all eaten their cake share. Got paid and problem is not found. This is the reality we live in. I’m gonna fix this in weekend in max 2h.

Joe weekend guy spending thousands on Pico equipment.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Liteace wrote:
Technician wrote:. In the UK the IMI are now along way down the road to achieving a licence for auto-electricians, this I know as I am involved in the discussions, and hopefully now it won't be too long before action follows the words of wisdom and makes it reality for all professionals.

And what difference is that going to make, it's not going to stop weekend Joe buying professional tools and having access to info/forums then doing the professional tech, who does it for a "living" out of work, the one that pays tax on what he earns, pays rent for workshop, pays all the yearly subs on equipment, went to college for 2 + year, spent 30K of his own money and still spending to keep up

What other trade do you know of where that happens, you don't get weekend HGV transport, doctors, dentists gynecologist :lol: structural engineers, tattoo studio, it's only really the motor trade

People say, why do we charge so much, we don't, we don't charge enough if you compare
Let's not get too upset please. Cars are very complicated and the truth as I see it is that its not that easy even for professionals, so to worry about the public doing their own repairs is not really too much of a problem I don't think. The licence system will do other things we have not yet thought about, and the public gaining access to professional information from either forums or the manufacturers or their agents I don't think the public would pay for it. I pay for it and I've no doubt you pay for it, and I believe we both knows how much per year that costs us.

We must not delude ourselves by believing the public are all going out their way to fix their own cars, you see back in the late 70's and 80's I used to see every neighbour at the weekends with the car bonnet up on the front or driveway fixing the car ready for Monday morning to go to work, do you ever see that anymore, I think not.

Most people have very busy lifestyles and I think in the UK we are working very long hours and don't have lots of free time anymore, hence the pressures of life and not having free time for much else. Once the licence is in force other doors will open, like access to information, parts etc for specific areas of expertise, so electrical parts (some anyway) might not be readily available to the public unless they are registered on the licensed register.

Now you may think its not coming, but government started last year with the mot scheme and having to train each year and pass an exam every year to keep their jobs, well I can now tell you that the government are also concerned about the quality of understanding vehicles and their technologies, and now they are saying that they are to introduce CPD training for the trade to ensure that experienced people are truly professionals. The time will arrive when the public won't even open a bonnet never mind plug a scanner into the port. Now you also might be seeing many people on the internet and forums and believing they are public doing repairs, but my understanding suggests these people are the public but are buying and selling the diagnostic equipment, yes some will be in the trade but most will not, and my experience has shown that if you ask them technical questions, even about the equipment they are selling, they reply, sorry I don't understand! That tells me they are the public into just selling, I'm not worried I can't do anything about that, but I know and believe cars are very complex, much to much for most people in the public sector by miles.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

liviu2004 wrote: He works for a dealership.................................................................................................................................................................
Joe weekend guy spending thousands on Pico equipment.
Wasn't talking about dealerships, theyve got the money to throw about + a big stock of trail and error parts available, I meant the independent

Thousands only on Pico, lets say you bought the 4425 Master kit @ aprox 4.5K, its got nearly everything you need Pico, now buy the rest that you need to just to start up and run a small inde then add it all up !

EAAD
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by EAAD »

Yes you’re right Martin.
Last edited by EAAD on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Please keep it friendly, I don't want to spend the rest of the holiday period moderating the forum. :)
Martyn
Technical Support Manager