Real time multimeter during capture

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
mastertech02
OneWave
OneWave

Real time multimeter during capture

Post by mastertech02 »

Hi very one.

Is there a way to read live real time multimeter readings during a capture ?
Any help appretiated.
Kind regards.

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Real time multimeter during capture

Post by Tronic »

Hi Mastertech02!

Yes you can! By clicking measurement, green button with white plus below the scope screen, you can select real time measurements which shows up after one is selected in the menu as a DMM, or digital readout if you wish, below the scope screen. In my capture I added rulers just to show that all the values match up with what the readout shows. For example the time rulers, IE the vertical where Delta shows 60,5mS and if you then, use this formula 1/0,0605 it equals - depending on how exact the rulers are placed - approximately the 16,67hz that the frequency measurement shows. Same for the peak to peak measurement and my two horizontal rulers which shows same value as the digital readout. There is also readings like for instance average, min and max, the latter two are good in case you want to see how much currents or voltages fluctuate in amplitude. If you take a look at the “add measurement menu” there are a whole bunch of different measurements that can be done at the same time, just by adding. You can also choose either whole trace or between rulers depending on what kind of measurement you want to accomplish. Just play with it and you will learn :D Experts from Pico, or others on the forum, can probably add more information on this subject.
Attachments
Digital readout.jpg

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Mastertech,

As Tronic has already mentioned it is possible to add measurements to a live capture.
MEASUREMENTS.jpg
If you wanted to purely use PicoScope almost like a multimeter then the best advice I can give you is to alter your timebase to a relatively quick time, anything under 20ms/div works well and then adding your measurement to the channel. I have attached a small video of how to adjust the size of the measurement table. You'll notice I've used the True RMS measurement and when the grid size is increased to it's max you'll have 3 readings, value, min and max. This maybe different depending on your screen size. One thing we do need to mindful of is the max and min are taken over a number of captures. As you play the video you'll see the min takes a while to 'catch up.' Never forget the scope measures voltage against time and the measurements displayed are over a number of captures which the default is 20. So once 20 captures have been made it will adjust the min or the max value accordingly.

I hope this helps and if you need any further assistance please do get in touch.

Kind regards

Ben
Attachments
Measurement Grid.mp4
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 536 times

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Ben

Excellent, thanks for adding more details as well as make some parts more understandable. :)

Kind regards

Bjorn

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

That's very interesting, I shall be looking at trying some measurements like that using the scope. Some aftermarket sensors like the crankshaft ones either don't allow the engine to start or don't last long when compared to the OEM, so shall be interesting to do a comparison.