P0103 code Passat 2003 AWT engine

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: P0103 code Passat 2003 AWT engine

Post by Tronic »

RYM6746

Yes, I did all that and wrote "gnd test 30mV" in remarks on the screen shoot as well. I can say, regarding the output pin in the MAF connector, that there was only a tiny spike on the scope when priming took place, but nothing more. Yes, this engine really needs a MAF. Thanks for helping RYM6746! :D

Regards
Bjorn

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi!

On request: psdata file on the "high output voltage MAF" which resulted in a high reading - no less than 200g/s - at idle :wink:

https://mega.nz/#!wAFRlRIQ!GrdWt-92r4Uw ... jk1cN-QICs

Regards
Bjorn

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Hi, not really a fan of mega, so refuse to download it. Whats the issue if you upload to this forum directly?

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi liviu2004!

I understand and no, I have no issues with uploading direct to this forum. I will do it tomorrow and make it as a standard operation instead of using Mega. :D

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi!

The psdata as requested :D

Regards
Bjorn
Attachments
Volkswagen_Passat_2003_Petrol_20171013-0001.psdata
(3.45 MiB) Downloaded 249 times

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Hi Tronic,

Why have you only got 12V at KOER at the fuel pump relay?

If the alternator is charging should the voltage not be higher?

I am very new to PicoScope and the functions and use of it, learning now all the time. I have started a two year course in auto-electrics, where the tutor advises a 50:50 course theory and workshop practice, having just spent three weeks in the workshop. The tutor advises that we will be using the PicoScope in the next workshop practices :D , very large TV size monitors to help my poor eyesight :mrgreen: .

I was wondering about the faulty MAF, AD shows it as either MAF/VAF!

Given the grams per stroke are so high and the output is 5V, I was wondering about the cause of the fault and its origin?

I was wondering if the MAF sensor or wiring might be shorted to positive internally?

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi Tecnician!

The 12 volts you see - channel A blue trace - is MAF output, while the green - channel C - is the voltage from the fuel relay, which reads about 14,2 volts, so the alternator is doing its job. No, there is no problem with the wiring; disconnected the MAF connector, hooked up the scope to the output pin and there was only a tiny little spike plus some hash contact bounce at B+, which I for some reason measured, when it was activated, GND was good. I will be back later. I have an idea! :wink:

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Tronic wrote:Hi Tecnician!

disconnected the MAF connector, hooked up the scope to the output pin and there was only a tiny little spike plus some hash contact bounce at B+, which I for some reason measured, when it was activated, GND was good.
Hi Tronic,

Please accept any misunderstanding will be purely down to me not understanding. With reference to the above, are you saying that you disconnected the MAF and tested for a voltage rise at the output when the engine was accelerated?

Regards

Tech.

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Technician!

No problem Technician. :D I am always prepared to explain things in advance since my native language is not English and therefore, some things could be more or less a big question mark, but believe me, I am happy to answer every single question that comes up. :D

What I did, was to disconnect the female MAF connector, put two needles into the output pin (5) and of course GND (3), with wiring going to the ECU. While my scope waited on single shot I jumped into the car and turned on the ignition. That was the only way to get at least a few seconds, while priming took place with fuel relay activated, of 12 volts feed to the MAF connector and then, see if something showed up on the output pin (5) of the connector. I also had a channel connected to the B+ - from fuel relay - which goes to the MAF and triggered of course on that channel. Let me know if something is unclear :D

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Hi Tronic,

Sorry I'm confused with the test procedure you appear to be using :?

Please try it this way for me. Plug the MAF sensor connector into the MAF sensor making sure all pin connections are clean and tight. Using T pins or similar back probe the MAF sensor connector (While MAF sensor is connected), looking for a good battery feed voltage 12.6V or above, and check the voltage signal from the MAF sensor while carrying out a WOT test, please ensure also that the ground circuit is connected to the scope at the same time.

During the test on the Pico we should see a good battery feed voltage 12.6 V + (charging voltage normally), a good ground 0.0 - 0.3V max, and an output signal voltage to around 4.5V at WOT.