Data-Logging Gas Waves in an Engine at 8,000 RPM

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
schmidtmotorworks

Data-Logging Gas Waves in an Engine at 8,000 RPM

Post by schmidtmotorworks »

Dear Automotive Picoscope users, any thoughts on accomplishing my goal (or coming close) would be appreciated.

I am collecting the pieces required to measure gas pressure in the ducts of an engine running at 8,000 RPM.

I am hoping that a Picoscope of some kind can complete the hardware collection of my system.

I would like to measure at each degree of crankshaft rotation if possible.
(8,000(RPM)/60 seconds per minute) * 360 (degrees per revolution)
= 48000 samples per second.

I need to trigger the start of a cycle each camshaft revolution. I hope that I can use a pick-up or an encoder for that.

I have 3 sensors to collect data from (they each have amplifiers).

1. Combustion pressure sensor (Optrand)
2. Intake manifold pressure sensor (Kistler)
3. Exhaust pressure sensor (Kistler)

I would be interested to have more sensors if possible, 4 would be good, but 8 would be great unless it multiplied the cost (this is a personal hobby project).

I will want to display the collected data in a graph.
If there is an application that does what I want easily, I might use it.
I expect that I will prefer to collect the data from a text file and graph it with an application that I will write.

I wonder if there is a way to graph the data in real time (maybe in coarser frequency).

Can you tell me if there is a PicoScope that can do this, if so what model?

I am looking at the 3000 series scopes but do not have a good enough understanding of the technical specs to know if it is capable of supporting this project.

Thank you for your attention.

Schmidtmotorworks

Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Data-Logging Gas Waves in an Engine at 8,000 RPM

Post by Mark Dalton »

I don't believe there's an 8 channel scope, so it seems that your limit is going to be 4 inputs.
The Pico Scope can handle your required sample rate a thousand times over, what I tought would be your issue would be the response time of your sensors, if the response time of all of your sensors are 0.20 of a milli second or faster then you are covered.
The pico files can be converted into CSV files if you wanted to graph it in another application like excel

schmidtmotorworks

Thank you for the reply.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Mark Dalton wrote:I don't believe there's an 8 channel scope,

The pico files can be converted into CSV files if you wanted to graph it in another application like excel
Oh yes there is :arrow: https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/4 ... cilloscope

It is a T&M scope so does not run the Automotive software and is a 50Volt max input so will need to be used with care but as the early Pico Automotive scopes were a 20Volt max input .......! :wink: :wink:

What the OP is describing is not so much Automotive Diagnostics as Data logging / Analysis so really it is more in the realms of the T&M boys and girls; there forum is Here :arrow: https://www.picotech.com/support/

The T&M software is perfectly suited to all manner of analysis and will talk to numerous software applications. :D

*****EDIT*****
:oops: :oops: I see that the OP has posted in the T&M forum and has been advise to contact support with more details. :oops: :oops:

schmidtmotorworks

Thanks for your consideration and input, I appreciate it.