Trial run using the PicoScope

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Trial run using the PicoScope

Post by Technician »

I used the Pico on a Vauxhall today, grabbed a few captures and starting learning the Pico software, don't think I've done too badly for a very first time. I'm impressed I have no noise etc on the scope traces :D

Looking at the scope trace of the injector while recording it I could see the size was too great for the trace area, observing that the peak of the injector trace is not shown. I have tried various ways to reduce the size but have not managed to successfully achieve this to date.
The following ignition waveforms were recorded using both the primary ignition [- VE] terminal and the secondary Pico first generation probe, a very nice piece of kit I must admit, very easy to use and very effective. :)
Also included a relative compression test waveform.

All advice welcome. :)
Attachments
Vauxhall_Corsa_2002_Petrol_Ignition scondary.psdata
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 599 times
Vauxhall_Corsa_2002_Petrol_Ignition coil secondary voltage.psdata
(3.11 MiB) Downloaded 612 times
Vauxhall_Corsa_2002_Petrol_Ignition coil secondary 2.psdata
(870.14 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Vauxhall_Corsa_2002_Petrol_Ignition coil scondary 3.psdata
(955.42 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Vauxhall_Corsa_2002_Petrol_Ignition coil primary.psdata
(6.56 MiB) Downloaded 584 times
Vauxhall_Corsa_2002_Petrol_scondary ignition coil voltage.psdata
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 554 times
Vauxhall_Corsa_2002_Petrol_Relative compression test.psdata
(523.07 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Trial run using the PicoScope

Post by speck »

Hi
You may want to increase your voltage to 200v

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thanks Speck,

Yes the scope did intermittently say over range voltage in (red), however the maximum scope setting is 100V so not sure how to go about it!

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Technician,

Great to see your getting a chance to play with the scope. You're right that the max input for the 4423 scope that you have is 100V. For this you will need to use an attenuator. The one we recommend can be found here https://www.picoauto.com/products/test- ... attenuator which will mean for every 10V in the scope will read 1V.

You will need to tell the scope that you are using an attenuator which be done under by changing the probe and selecting the 10:1 Attenuator.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Ben

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thanks Ben,

I did spend some time reading up on the scope before plugging any leads into it, and did buy the 10:1 attentuator from Pico a few days ago before using the scope. It appears my difficulties are too fold at the moment;

1 / I can't find a scope manual for this scope, the ones I have found are updated versions!

2/ I could not adjust the voltage scale for some reason, the scope appeared to be set for the 20:1 attenutator!!

Thanks

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Technician,

Have found you a scope manual, please use the following link https://www.picoauto.com/download/docum ... manual.pdf

With regards to adjusting voltage scale you shouldn't have any issues? Could you capture a screenshot of the problem you are having and post on here so I can better understand what is going on. Have attached a link of where to change the attentuator to 10:1 which will hopefully make sense!

Kind regards

Ben
Attachments
Attenuator.jpg

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thanks Ben,

I've downloaded the manual and will read through it, also will connect Pico and carryout a test and screen shot. :)

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Hi Ben,

Yes had another go with the scope this afternoon, I've found the menu for changing the attenuator ratio now set at 10:1. I have completed another ignition primary trace and played around with the settings to achieve the best waveform on screen. When the scope is running it appears that the waveform can't be read, the waveform seems to dance around quickly and not view-able on screen. what I have to do is stop the waveform and then start making adjustments to the size to read it, is this the correct way, or should I be able to read directly from the screen during live data measurements!!

On the top left of the scope now below the file menu there is a drop down box that previously read 100V, since changing the attenuator settings the reading now reads 400V, the over range warning does not appear now.

Got to say, I'm very impressed with the scope. Last time I could see ignition wave forms like these were back in the 1980's/90's on my Crypton 335 MotorScope :)

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

For dancing waveforms, you have to use Trigger function. Bottom left somewhere.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thanks found it, another learning curve to decide which is the best setting to select :)