new pico scope

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
tim bowkett

new pico scope

Post by tim bowkett »

hi all i have just bought a new pico scope i have a few problems first is i have aol so unable to get updates is it possible to get them any other way, problem 2 is that if i do not diconect the usb on startup of the pico it shuts off and i have to unplug it then plug it back in is it possible to keep the usb port kept in cant wait to use it.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Tim

Thank you for your post.

When you say that you cannot get updates, do you mean that you are unable to download the software from our website? Will you be able to if you use Internet Explorer or Firebox browsers? Is there a setting in AOL that you can change to allow the download?

With regards the other issue, are you connecting directly or via a hub? What happens if you start up when it is plugged in? Does the software fail to see it? Does it appear in the device manager?

Any more information that you can provide will be helpful.

Best Regards

tim bowkett

new pico scope

Post by tim bowkett »

thanks sarah for the reply,the unit came with the software cd i loaded this and then searched for any updates error message came back saying aol does not support this,also if i leave the usb cable connected as the software powers up the light on the unit switches off and then it says that the device is not connected.I have three usb 2 ports on my laptop but when connected i get a message saying that the devive will run better connected to a usb 2 device which i think i have done, i am not that up to speed on computers

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Tim

There are a couple of things going on here.

Firstly, check and see if the device is installed correctly in the device manager. The light will go out when the software tries to open the unit so this shows that it has made contact.

The message about USB2 speeds is normal and is due to the way the scope communicates when it is first plugged in. The scope will switch up to USB2 when then unit is opened.

It sounds to me like the unit is not correctly installed. Watch the device manager as the software is opening - the unit should disappear from the list and then reappear. Does it do this? What does it reappear as?

Try uninstalling the hardware from the PC and then replugging it and following through the wizards again. You will need to go through 2 wizards if it is on a USB2 port.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Best Regards

tim bowkett

new pico scope

Post by tim bowkett »

thanks very much sarah i am quite new to this computer stuff,i have to admit i had not fully installed the device the software was done but had not installed the devic,all sorted now thanks for taking the time to reply to a hopeless mechanic thanks :D