MINI R56 2009

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: MINI R56 2009

Post by RYM6746 »

I like STC I really do. He has helped me out. But I think he misses the point people come on here when they are struggling and they need help with there next test. NOT to be picked apart at where they have gone wrong so far.
They may have made mistakes getting to the point they are at. NOT THE POINT EVERY ONE DOES. give them advice on what they should do next and the mistakes will be kept to a minimum in the future as they will slowly but surely learn the diagnostic procedure. Like we all had to

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

RYM
I like STC I really do. He has helped me out.
Thank you and always a pleasure :) :)
give them advice on what they should do next and the mistakes will be kept to a minimum
Here we will disagree !!!
What if they don't have the correct tools ?? - My angle is to buy the tool or move it on !
If one wants to practice and learn the very basics then I will support them in any way I can but never if it is on a paying customers car. He or she deserves a qualified & experienced technician with the right tools looking at that car and nothing less !! That is my issue and will remain so.

I practice what I preach, This morning I have diagnosed a faulty Turbo Actuator on an Audi A6 3.0 V6 Tdi BMK Engine and dropped it at VAG independent for them to fit and calibrate the actuator - I don't have the tool !!! End of story.

I cant do the job so I pass it to a man that can. I shall now find a car that I can fix (or twiddle my thumbs) hopefully earn something from both - Simple, Profitable, Ethical, Honest, Fair, Professional ... ... ...

Perhaps I cannot see the wood for the trees but I give out what I believe is good advice to any one that asks, I do have issues when that advice is ignored. It is the Paying Customer & the reputation of our industry I care for first and foremost.
NOT to be picked apart at where they have gone wrong so far.
Dispelling Myths, correcting someone, making it clear very bluntly what they are doing will not work, challenging their understanding ... ... ... ... .. can come under two very distinct banners:
1. Being Picked Apart or
2. Shown the Error of your ways.

Is it any different - I don't get offended when I get picked apart. It is free education. Tell me I'm wrong every time I am - Be as harsh as you like ! I will always sincerely thank you for that.

It also troubles me to see someone who is constantly not getting it right, that raise questions at best, but damages the credibility of our trade and that I take personally. I think I have earned that right

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

I'm sure he owns or can get access to a test light to diagnose the heater circuit. All he needed was that information. NOT 20 paragraphs of an argument that only acheived a pissed off person at the end. If I am honest I too have posted a repair question on here searching for information just to have every sentance I have written be picked apart by you. ITS ANNOYING AND BESIDES THE POINT. All I want is either a test/scope setup or plan of attack. NOT an argument about what I have previously written.

Live on the job case studies especially on designs you have never seen before are going to land in your lap. He owns a verus which is a decent scan tool with a scope. Let's help him understand how to use it and in the future he will be able to fix alot more cars.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

RYM6746 wrote:I assume at this point you are just trying to get rid of the heater circuit code on the O2. I think a quick and dirty test would be to put a standard incandescent test light in place of the heater delete the code and run the engine you should see the light illuminate (probably pulsed on and off) and the code shouldn't return. Let us know what the results of this test are
She took the car with the spare key when I was not in, no phone call no message nothing, I spoke to her mother who told me she had took the car back, she didn't know why. She was talking to her mothers husband and he said she had no money. I was sure at the time which is why I asked professionals about ECU Terminal B18 PWM signal produced, I never asked for STC's attitude though.
Dcunning35 wrote:Morning tech ,
Could you look at the ,map,iat,tp upstream 02 serially from cold start through warm up im still trying to understand the rough running in conjunction with the post cat o2 dtc .
Please humour me as I am not with the vehicle but would if possible like to assist.
Does this only occur from initial start, or worsen with engine warm up
I did complete a road test with the VERUS connected, I have saved all the OBD II pids, I've watched them and can say that the CAT efficiency looks very poor, the lambda sensor 2 is working according to the pids, switching high and low, which is wrong if the CAT is working correctly.

I used AD's test procedure to check the lambdas, lambda 1 is using amps and switching high and low, lambda 2 is switching high and low (it shouldn't) I know. B18 is the only signal that looks wrong, a local auto electrician seems to thing the lambda is more than likely a pattern part fitted and has the incorrect resistance, which I measured at 3.1 ohms, AD advise should be 6 ohms, so I wonder if he is correct and that is pulling down the PWM signal, but have no car to check it now!

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

So it sounds as if the car retailer has replaced the post cat 02 sensor incorrectly for a catalyst fault most likely caused by the excessive oil consumption.

Lets hope she gets her repaired properly paid for by them or her money back .

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I spoke to her mum today in Sainsbury's, her boyfriend paid recently £4500 for the car and when she took the car her boyfriend took the car to a garage he knows who told him the engine is duff and requires a new one, at some major costs. I was not convinced these MINI engines burning oil at 40K miles is due to internal faults, yes I've known Vauxhall's using oil from new and then after some mileage they settle down, but really serious oil burning on engines at 40K?

I've done some research, apparently it is a known fault and a PCV delete modification cures the oil burning problem, so in this case, a PCV delete and a new OEM lambda sensor and the car should be fine. I'll pass the info on and see what comes back. Yes I'll let you know how it goes on...

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Personally id steer clear of modification of the breather , take a step back . Let the customer persue the repair through the car lot.
I wouldn't entertain any modification that isnt proven or validated by a service instruction the oil burning could be caused by anything from overheating , poor servicing ,bore wash . The car may even have had a few miles knocked off .
Move onto the next

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

the lambda sensor 2 is working according to the pids, switching high and low, which is wrong if the CAT is working correctly.
Then P0420 is present or you or your Verus Guide to the Galaxy is telling lies. Period.

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

Bosch training courses do lay on a nice spread. The building doesn't look bad either. I Find the courses very heavy on function and description and low on trouble shooting procedure. What are your thoughts? :lol:

Potential 100K on training. Sounds f#$%ing expensive. Did you know scanner danner premium runs an online YouTube training course for £6 a month, first 2 weeks are free. You can watch it at your own leisure so no days off are required(massive saving right there). I find it far superior to any bosch training course I have attended due to the actual real life trouble shooting procedures. Cheaper too. You should try it.
Last edited by RYM6746 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I admit not being in that part of the country I've not done anything with Bosch. From your description their courses come across like the City and Guilds Craft Studies courses and the electronics and microprocessor course I did in the 1980's, they also went into much detail about the function and operation of components, which is in my opinion the correct way to learn. If you know how something works, you see clearly when its not functioning correctly, so the only thing to be sure of is that nothing else is actually causing the malfunction other than the component and its circuit in question. I would also like to point out that the operator must be fully conversant with the test equipment being used also.

I enrolled last year for an 18 months automotive electronics course, which unfortunately did not run because there were not enough numbers of students to run it, however the college has rang me Monday this week and said it is running starting next Monday, so fingers crossed I'm starting the course Monday. :D

I have also downloaded the Bosch course they run in South England, they look impressive and depending what happens with this course I may also attend their courses at some later date.