Hello to all

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
s-kelly5

Hello to all

Post by s-kelly5 »

Hi everyone
I'm a Volvo technician from Ireland. I love using the scope, try to break it out as often as I can. Decided to join the forum hoping to learn as much as I can.
:D

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Hello to all

Post by Dcunning35 »

Hi s kelly and welcome to the pico community , this is a really good place with some incredibly talented diagnostic minds .
Danny

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello S-Kelly,

Welcome the Pico family! As Danny has mentioned there are some extremely talented guys on here that will help you with your scope use. Also remember there is a ton of information on the website to help you along the way. I'm adding a link here to a topic created by Steve Smith which includes a number of useful links. It's handy to keep if you struggling to find information either on the website or on the forum.

topic15231.html

As always we are here to help and assist where possible.

Kind regards

Ben Martins

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Hi Sk

In England Volvo Franchises are issued with a 2 channel scope. Is that the case in Ireland or have you invested in your own ??

There are at least 22 VMs issuing Picoscopes to the workshops. Do we have one contributor on the Forum that is a full time VM Technician using a Company Issued OEM Picoscope ???

I frequent Ferrari, Maserati, Suzuki dealerships and have first hand experience of them gathering dust !

s-kelly5

Post by s-kelly5 »

Hi stc
Yeah we have a dealer issued scope in the workshop, I try to use it as much as I can especially after some recent training with Volvo, I have no problem setting up and getting a signal/wave form, presets are handy but I'm trying not to rely on them all the time. Not many people in my place ever use it really so there isn't much to learn from anyone in the workplace. Being able to spot flaws with waveforms is what I want to get good at but that will just take practice and a lot of use. How bout you? Do you use it everyday? What do you find it most useful for?

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Not many people in my place ever use it really so there isn't much to learn from anyone in the workplace.
I'm a bit of a Volvo geek myself, have an XC90 and looking for another C70 T5. Had one a few years back and miss it. A very good Friend is a Mastertech at the Dealer in Slough, I have Vida/Dice now but not played with it enough. We digress !! Back to the Post:

Scannerdanner has some really good videos on youtube for pico training - well worth the time.
Being able to spot flaws with waveforms is what I want to get good at
That is easy, spend months and years looking at good waveforms from good cars, you will spot the bad ones. :) :) Then there is the Pico waveform library. A good few case studies, tutoriols .... .... on the Pico site.
How bout you? Do you use it everyday? What do you find it most useful for?
Several times a day, I use a scope on every car look at, whether it be the cheap nasty thing on the Autel Powerprobe for a quick look or I have Snap On & Fluke Handhelds & the 4 Channel Pico. Some time ago I used the Pico with an amp Clamp to find a sticky Extraction Fan Bearing in my Gas Boiler at home - I could see the command from the controller and the amps jump up then the controller giving up, if I nudged the fan at start up, the peak inrush demand was lower and the boiler would fire up. British Gas charged me £90 to tell me I needed a new boiler - About £3k if I recall correctly

I don't know what accessories Volvo supply you but I'm guessing 2 leads and an Amp Clamp - ??? It is the accessories that make the scope what it is.
If you are prepared to add accessories form pico, elsewhere or home made then the limitation of the Pico is your imagination.

Lots of good ideas, tricks, tips do come up in the forum regularly.
Be sure to sign up for the Pico Newsletter and post your problems here. The forum is like a school in many ways :) and a great resource.

Some real switched on technicians here that come up with some real funky stuff !!

Good luck and have fun !!!

s-kelly5

Post by s-kelly5 »

Thanks guys, will definitely be spending some time on here, so much valuable information. Have watched a few scanner danner vids, also frank Massey. Yeh just got 2 leads and amp clamp with a dead battery :( first time I went to use the clamp had to put a new battery in :) yeah the handy thing about working in a dealership is always another car to compare with but I'm starting to compile my own library of known good waveforms, and Volvo have their own presets on the software on my laptop which is handy.