Little bit of help to understand coil signal??? negative ?

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
DebbieSidera
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Little bit of help to understand coil signal??? negative

Post by DebbieSidera »

The only one who helped me here was Ben Martins.
Last edited by DebbieSidera on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DebbieSidera
OneWave
OneWave

Post by DebbieSidera »

FioranoCars wrote:Hi Debbie
Maybe I'm a little late to the party, but missed this till now. All the Dino's we've had have been twin points, so sadly no direct experience of you single setup, but have a seen quite a few of these over the last 20years! One thing that comes to mind is "bounce" of the points? have they been changed? Do you have another set you can put in?
Is the advance exceeding the 30° Max at 5400rpm (if that's the same for your model)? The snail CAM on the carbs have a nasty flat spot, but don't think this is related, especially as you've been testing on a rig off car, but worth mentioning (not found a better cam to use, it's a "live with it" issue). Have overhauled the dissy? weights etc ?The dinoplex is pretty solid, not stunning, and reliable, no idea of your system, but the fact that the points fail on the bench would lead me to look at rotational play, excessive wear etc, although a redline in the high 7k means testing beyond 8k is moot, stressing it see how it fails off the car can highlight visually or from vibration the root source? Very interested to hear how this one ends

Richard
Hi Richard, thanks for you interest. Please read the thread from the very begging. The case was resolved!
The late US Dino has a signal set of points. the second one controls the emission system. (with six lubes on the shaft, it has less dwell. you can't modified unless you change it).
The original Dinoplex was replaced for a Perma-tune system. It fail over a 5400 rpms. Nothing to do with the points (see attached graphic.)
No, it wasn't the vibrations. The unit was also tested over a synchrograph bench. Advance was test and all is working fine according to the specs.

The case was resolved. I'm not going to continue this thread.
It already was edited by the moderator once.

DebbieSidera
OneWave
OneWave

Post by DebbieSidera »

STC wrote:Debbie. Sorry to bang on about this but I'm not getting this, perhaps I need to learn something here ?
The unit fails only over 5400 rpm. not following the breaker points.
The ignition breaker points starting to float over 8800 rpm.
There is a huge difference of 3400rpm there !!!
If the Dino engine will redline at 7500 rpm then for that unit to fail on the bench at 8800 RPM is not necessarily a fault in that application ???Either I am being thick ?? missing something ???
Omg... You need to read. Please see the graphic and you will understand. Maybe you aren't use to these ignition systems.
The breaker points are only the 'trigger' for the ignition unit. They don't fail till 8800RPM (So, they are perfect!!! they work as they should ! not bouncing unless I forcing them to a high speed over the tester).
Then, the ignition unit (Dinoplex and now Perma-tune) is not following the trigger. over 5400 rpms the signal is intermittently failing (see graph)
The problem was resolved! It's so simple. I'm not going to continue the thread.
All I asked was learning about the coil waves and I had to self educate myself.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

The breaker points are only the 'trigger' for the ignition unit. They don't fail till 8800RPM (So, they are perfect!!! they work as they should ! not bouncing unless I forcing them to a high speed over the tester).
Got it !!

I learnt something :D