Rough idle and white smoke on Mondeo

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Rough idle and white smoke on Mondeo

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
On Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel/96 KW / WF05XXGBB53K78956 I have the following issue:
the engine start very,very hard with a lot of white smoke ,with a rough idle and stop after 5-10 seconds.
No faults in error memory,the timing is ok ,but...at one cylinder I have pre-injection too late compared to the other three.
The injectors was checked and was found ok :D
Someone can give me a tip about what to check?The moment of injection(with IEPE or MEMS accelerometer sensor)?
Thank you
Attachments
Ford_Mondeo_2004_Diesel_20170430-0001.psdata
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 601 times

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Rough idle and white smoke on Mondeo

Post by Dcunning35 »

Sounds like a distorted con rod viktor , you can try in cyl compression test but im not too confident with that at this present time .
There may be clue in a rising compression test but its usuly dti to check cylinder protrusions.
Danny

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Dcunning35 wrote:Sounds like a distorted con rod viktor , you can try in cyl compression test but im not too confident with that at this present time .
There may be clue in a rising compression test but its usuly dti to check cylinder protrusions.
Danny
Hello,
But with a start spray the engine run good...so the compression must be good/equal to all cylinders :(
And only at one injector the preinjection is delayed with 1,8-2,2 ms...

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Is this common rail or vp30 pump?
Ive had experience of this and to answer your question it will run on spray .
Even rising compression doesn't always show it .
The white smoke and pungent sulphorous odour is ringing alarm bells with me.
Over the years ive done lots of these .
Give your wpx a run out see if it shows anything.
Danny

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I think at the moment I'd put the scope aside unless you use it for testing the cooling system operating pressure. Some useful ideas to look at here;

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and un-burned.

Some causes of this include…

1 / Faulty or damaged injectors
2 / Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft key-way).
3 / Low cylinder compression (e.g caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
4 / When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of a good Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.
5 / Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke.
6 / Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder head or block are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.
7 / Check the turbo see if the seals are excessively worn/leaking.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Dcunning35 wrote:Sounds like a distorted con rod viktor , you can try in cyl compression test but im not too confident with that at this present time .
Danny
Hello,
I think you have right ...please look at the frequency drop at compression:one cyl have a higher frequency than other three with 81Hz(higher freq means lower compression in marked areas) -aprox 20% !
The delayed preinjection make me to look in other direction... :lol:
Thank you.
Attachments
freq drop.rar
(110.56 KiB) Downloaded 490 times

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Your welcome victor , and its always nice to be sure before breaking out the spanners .
If you want specs for protrusions just pm vin and notch count of gasket .
Danny

Datchet Diagnostics

Post by Datchet Diagnostics »

This being the engine launched wit chocolate Con Rods ?

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Datchet Diagnostics wrote:This being the engine launched wit chocolate Con Rods ?
Sure was chocolate con rods on this engine:all 4 was bented ,one more than others. :D
I can't understand why the modern engines don' t like water...the life was born in water but for our engines is ...death :?:
Regards.