pico diagnostics cylinder balance

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
wellspin
OneWave
OneWave

pico diagnostics cylinder balance

Post by wellspin »

Just been trying out the cylinder balance test with my two channel 3223,but I have a small issue with the results.
One cylinder C is always at 1.00 unchanging while its misfire count is varying etc,cant be right?
The car is a 2001 renault scenic 1.6 16 valve.I had all the ancillaries on to get a good signal.I think its a great tool but at the moment I am bit unsure about it,or maybe a lot.
Im running the latest software with a windows seven laptop a 1.5GHZ cpu,3gb of memory,something missing in the operating system possibly

cheers all
Attachments
all components on.pddata
(13.67 MiB) Downloaded 519 times

STC
Banned

Re: pico diagnostics cylinder balance

Post by STC »

Hi WellSpin

I don't often use "Pico Diagnostics" Software - Perhaps I should ?

I find that using a CKP capture with an RPM Math Channel riding on it is RAW data. It will pick out intermittent misfires and there is no danger of averaged results. You should try it - I think you will be impressed at the amount of detail with diagnostic value that can be gleaned from a simple easy test.

wellspin
OneWave
OneWave

Post by wellspin »

STC wrote:Hi WellSpin

I don't often use "Pico Diagnostics" Software - Perhaps I should ?

I find that using a CKP capture with an RPM Math Channel riding on it is RAW data. It will pick out intermittent misfires and there is no danger of averaged results. You should try it - I think you will be impressed at the amount of detail with diagnostic value that can be gleaned from a simple easy test.
I have read a little bit about using that method.Have you any files etc on your experiences of using it setting up etc

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I have read a little bit about using that method.Have you any files etc on your experiences of using it setting up etc
Indeed I do have several files. You can find a few on the forum to look at too !

You may do well to take your own sample, create a misfire and practice with it - Practice makes perfect.

It really is an eye opener - a "wow" moment when it comes together.

If you upload your Crank capture here, I am sure someone will help you with attaching the math channel.

wellspin
OneWave
OneWave

Post by wellspin »

excellent,Im going to have a go tommorow
does any body know the number of teeth on renault scenics flywheel?

wellspin
OneWave
OneWave

Post by wellspin »

STC wrote:
Indeed I do have several files. You can find a few on the forum to look at too !

You may do well to take your own sample, create a misfire and practice with it - Practice makes perfect.

It really is an eye opener - a "wow" moment when it comes together.

If you upload your Crank capture here, I am sure someone will help you with attaching the math channel.
Grabbed the rpm waveform here cheers ian
Attachments
test maths.psdata
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 562 times