2013 Ford focus will not perform DPF regeneration

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 2013 Ford focus will not perform DPF regeneration

Post by Dcunning35 »

Vaporizer glow plug will have shorted due to burning out caused by lack of fuel , the function you need is in
Powertrain ,service functions , reset fuel vaporizer pump.
If you are unable to locate it use etis online or just power the pump directly put dont allow it to run to long just ensure fuel flows through the line .

What dtc have you got .
If its logged soot accumulation static regen will be impeaded.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Best way to check launch regen and attatch meter to vaporizer glow plug relay see if its pulled in .

If not reset dpf values and retry if it engages the dpf is blocked . But as earlier verify delta pressure sensor is reading correctly.

Danny
Pm me if you wanna give me a call

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

Thanks for your help Danny I appreciate it. Where will I find this DPF pump? Just so I can do some checks there. As on the last regen that glow plug definitely had 12V at it and I still had no real temperature. The reason I am suspecting pump is the vaporiser was blocked solid and I wonder if it has overloaded pump and blown a fuse.
At this moment in time I have no fault codes at all.
But I do have a DPF now reaching 300mbar at WOT :lol:
I'll have one last stab at it tomorrow and if I get stuck I will PM you.
Thanks again

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Pm me the vin and I will give you all the info regarding relays etc . Vaporizer pump is either lh corner on front subframe near steering rack .(follow the fuel lines back and you cant miss it ) its only a tiny lift pump basically it dribbles in fuel so if pipes are disturbed or vaporizer replaced it needs purdging or it will take forever to fill the line as when in regen the pump is modulated.
My thoughts are either pcm wont initiate regen due to soot mass being too high or low or vaporizer needs bleeding. Fyi theres a monitoring fuse for vaporizer glow plug too.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

If you pm or post vin I can give you specifics . Rather than waste your time and have you chassing your tail .

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

Found pump, both power and PWM ground present and correct. and if powered manually by tapping a ground on and off the pump will dribble fuel out of pipe at vaporizer. launched a regen whilst monitoring EGT sensors 1 and 2 voltage with meter this time. to my surprise the EGT 2 voltage went right down to about 0.9V where as the EGT 1 stayed around 4.6V. Have I been monitoring the temperature at the wrong sensor?? As there is a lot of heat being created at EGT2. But STILL i have around 300mbar at WOT after a regen! my suspicions are now that the DPF is knackered due to the vaporizer being blocked. The customer needs the car back and at this moment in time it has no fault codes in it(whilst performing regen pump is being controlled and glow plug has 12V) I will pre worn him if fault re occurs we will have to try and get the DPF off and checked, if it is normal for EGT 1 to read 270 degrees on a regen that is :?: Could be a faulty sensor but i have seen it read higher on a road test and it seems to change from around 120 to 270 nice and smoothly as soon as a regen has been commanded then just stays there, will not show temp of EGT 2 with Bosch KTS.
Ford IDS does not give you any EGT readings whilst performing a regen :evil:
Oh yeah nearly forgot the VIN :idea:
Attachments
20170425_114845.jpg

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

If egt2 is dropping to 0.9v thats in regen around 400deg , the egt 1 located in cat pre vaporizer may read less but not 280,300deg less I would suggest t g e dpf has collapsed. And possible reason for no temp rise is dtc logged impeads regen building temp , ids will raise idle and run the bargraph but never runs vaporizer and logs regen failled dtc catalyst temp too low .

Pm me and il give you my number to call

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Fuse 48 15amp in ejb for vaporizer , pump f34 10amp in ejb .
R3 is vaporizer glow plug relay checking current flow here will confirm regen active .
Dmm your egts this is an econetic sub 90 and ive had egt wiring transposed in pcm connector but this vehicle has been around a bit now but a quick continuity test will prove wired correctly.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Fuse 48 15amp in ejb for vaporizer , pump f34 10amp in ejb .
R3 is vaporizer glow plug relay checking current flow here will confirm regen active .
Dmm your egts this is an econetic sub 90 and ive had egt wiring transposed in pcm connector but this vehicle has been around a bit now but a quick continuity test will prove wired correctly.

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

Yes Both EGT sensors start at 5v KOEO. Then you warm vehicle up to allow the scan tool to start a regen. I initially was choosing the Bosch KTS as this would provide you with DPF pressure,EGT 1 temperature and voltage pids whilst performing the regen. The EGT1 temperature will NEVER go higher than 270 (pulled down to only 4.6V) on a regen it will however if you drive it hard. I have also however performed a regen with the IDS whilst checking the control of pump and current and voltage through glow plug and the IDS is definitely turning both on in the early stages of the regen and they are staying on and what I discovered today is that EGT 2 voltage (starts at 5V) gets pulled all the way down to 0.9V relatively early in the regen process. So there is definitely a lot of heat on the tip of that sensor. As EGT1 only gets pulled down to around 4.6 ish volts (270 degrees). However the pressure of the DPF if anything is ever so slightly climbing the more regens I perform ( not blocked just reaches 300mbar at WOT ) so the regen is not clearing it through. Can't have a gaping hole through it due to some back pressure.
Im sure you can understand my confusion to begin with as I have faults stored for low temperature and in every other car I have looked at EGT 1 goes to around 6-700 degrees and to back it up my bosch KTS only gives me the temperature for EGT1 when I perform regen. Misleading to say the least. So there I am replacing the blocked vaporiser (brilliant info from danny) expecting to see a sharp rise in EGT1 and it never comes. Never looking at EGT2 before the new vaporiser I can not comment on the voltage or temperature of it.
After the regen I don't have any fault codes present and I have a car that drives perfectly with a customer jumping up and down for it. I have told him I am still not happy with the temperature and back pressure and he is to bring it back when he can spare it so I can remove the DPF for inspection. As he will probably be setting some fault codes in the near future.

Side note: I can't find anywhere to command DPF pump or glow plug on with either scan tool sorry about the blurred picture
Attachments
20170425_102129.jpg