Focus intermittant no start CAN BUS

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Re: Focus intermittant no start CAN BUS

Post by STC »

Some great information being shared by pico users
We are agreed on the Hi Speed (critical) CAN :)

The Body or Convenience (non critical) CAN on VAG I have always known to be 2 twisted wires and Mirror image however it will run in single wire mode if one side is damaged and give a fault code.

VAG do extensively use K line & LIN too which are single wire. Add to that MOST Fibre Optic, Wireless, Infra Red, Bluetooth, Wireless, Radar .... ..... ..... Just because our job is not hard enough I guess.

So, for example, a 2013 VW Golf worth a few £k has more Networks for it to function correctly than whole Countries or Continents. Puncture two of its (if not runflat) tyres and it is ruined, a brick, absolutely useless !!!

It has to be a conspiracy :D :D :D to get rid of us Technicians, Diesels (Money Makers) are slowly going, Petrols are in the minority and can always be fixed with a Coil Pack, Hybrids and Full Electrics don't go Wrong.

The end of the diagnostic technicians world is how far away ??? :D :D :D :D

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

If anyone has the symptoms I have described in this thread. Here is the fix.
https://youtu.be/9iTi_ZeRujM

I have seen this fault numerous times and usually a good whack on top of the cluster will get the car started/diagnosed and into the work shop ready for repair

realflash

Post by realflash »

For those who find this thread in the future: on all Mk2 and Mk2.5 Focuses we have seen this problem can be solved by resoldering the pins on the connector socket on the back of the IC. With a magnifying glass you can usually see the broken solder joints. There are some fun gotchas in taking the IC apart but it's absolutely doable in house if you are capable with a soldering iron. The IC incudes the terminating resistor of the CAN bus, so when these pins are intermittently connected the bus becomes unstable. I've also seen this same problem on the Kuga and S-Max of the same era. Symptoms we have seen so far include:
  • Odd speedo behaviour
  • Engine malfunction warnings
  • Engine failing to start with no errors
  • Alarm going off
  • Wipers not operating or operating on their own
  • Engine claiming it is overheating and going into limp mode when it isn't
But frankly given the corrupted messages almost anything is possible. Temperature change outside can affect the behaviour.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for reviving this post which fits nicely with this YouTube case study

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIw-4V1 ... Automotive

It does go on a bit (Sorry) but hopefully helps reinforce and offer support alongside the posts above

Take care......Steve