Gas analyzer probe

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
MD tech
OneWave
OneWave

Gas analyzer probe

Post by MD tech »

I ran across a leaking head gasket today, I found it using a liquid co2 tester along with finding air bubbles coming from the cooling system. I was wondering if there are gas analyzer probes available to be used with an oscilloscope that would pick up co2? it would make things a lot simpler, especially if a pressure transducer was used as well.

STC
Banned

Re: Gas analyzer probe

Post by STC »

using a liquid co2 tester along with finding air bubbles
Holding a Gas Analyser over the expansion bottle will or should give a HC reading with a popped Head Gasket more accurately than the Liquid Test Method, particularly on Diesels - in my experience.

I was wondering if there are gas analyzer probes available to be used with an oscilloscope that would pick up co2?
I am no expert on this but I may be able to help until someone with better knowledge comes along.

You could pull your gas analyser apart, locate the sensor or sensors and scope them. If they have some identification on them you may get a data sheet to help you make sense of the output and convert that to actual numbers. Then it is a case of building a "Math Channel" or "Custom Probe"

You have got me started now. I have a Snap on Scan gas and the one thing I don't like about it is that I can only look at one gas level at a time. Would be good to link it up to a scope and see all 4 gasses simultaneously on a scope.
especially if a pressure transducer was used
This has been covered on this forum before, here is a link to the thread.
post63521.html?hilit=coolant pressure#p63471

The transducer method I have used many times and it works well. With a second channel for cylinder identification, as long as combustion gasses are leaking into the coolant jacket you will know where the Head Gasket has failed before you lift the Head.
A big help on V engines. Should we be replacing both gaskets if we KNOW that only one has failed ?

MD tech
OneWave
OneWave

Post by MD tech »

thank you, the problem I have is I don't have a gas analyzer right now, and I am trying to find a way to get one without paying the $3-4k that most units sell for. I agree with you that the liquid tester is not very accurate, I don't trust it very much, just use it as a backup to other tests.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

and I am trying to find a way to get one without paying the $3-4k that most units sell for.
Used units are available fairly cheap. For example .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sun-DGA-1800- ... 1290007027

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/snapon-mot-ga ... 2490102050