Mini Cooper S (Petrol / Benzine) 2007

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Re: Mini Cooper S (Petrol / Benzine) 2007

Post by STC »

Stc ,may I ask where you sourced your piezo clamps from?
Danny
I bought the Sealey ones -Paid all the money for them :(

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

If they work its worth every penny
Danny

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I am now exploring the idea of purchasing a 0 - 400 bar Gauge or Transducer.

The WPS 600 is tempting but not cheap !!

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

I was looking at the same , you can get transducers from 300-1000psi for around £12 . Quite a simple mock up with a board, box ,voltage reg and a couple of capacitors before and after the regulator.
Then its a case of some aquiring the adaptors and fittings for the applications ,
I will let you know when it finished .
Danny

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Hi Danny

1000 Psi which is just short of 70 bar would not be enough. Some Gdi's are already running 200 bar with talk of that increasing.

To be on the safe side you should be looking in the 300 - 500 bar range (4000 - 7000 psi)

Just had a brainwave - I will buy a Mini Cooper Rail Pressure Sensor (£40). If it does not fix the car I will put it in my tool box and call it my "GDi Pressure Test Transducer" - Problem solved :D :D :D

Should be good for monitoring VAG PD Tandem Pumps too

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

I take your point stc , good out the box thinking after all thats what the sensor does . It just needs a flying lead that way you could interchange that for other transducers. I haven't got the wpx 500 , and was looking at it for in cylinder compression testing as thats new for me . But once the box is built up it will have a regulated 5v supply, ground and the signal back from transducer terminated in banana jacks .
About £35 in bits if it doesn't work it makes a good door stop !!

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Danny

The reference voltage supply is easy. All modern day USB phone chargers are 5 Volt. and the signal wire can have a 4mm banana. My first ever transducer was a MAP sensor from a Turbocharged Petrol Car (so it would measure vacuum and pressure) wired up the same way. I still use it now.

Having read up on the MINI system, the maximum pressure it will operate at is 120 bar and the FRP will read to 160 bar.

I'm pretty certain there are cars out there that run up to 200 bar so I'm guessing the FRP would be safe up to 220/240 bar. Just need to know which car then the trick would be to buy the sensor for that car.

Any ideas which make model of car the higher pressure systems are fitted to.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Latest Volvo (VEA) engines have pressure up to 200 bar under load. Safety valve is at 230 bar. At this stage pressure sensor is not available separately.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Volrem
pressure sensor is not available separately.
As always - Great information.

I assume it comes complete with the rail ?? Perhaps an Ebay link of a used part ? If you have the time, would be very much appreciated.

Thank You.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Yes it comes with rail. It did come into production few years ago so not sure if there will be many of these scrapped.

First two codes are 31405413 and 31478556 but I'm sure there are more of these depending on engine code.
From Sweden (https://www.bildelsbasen.se) you can get for sure. Didn't notice any in ebay.