TVR Griffith/Chimaera 400/500 Heater Wiring Diagram

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

TVR Griffith/Chimaera 400/500 Heater Wiring Diagram

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi All
Got a 1992 TVR Griffith 400 in with a few issues, but seem unable to source much wiring data, especially for the Heater ECU, which is the only thing left to trace. While the blower had seized and the heater water control valve died, there's still the diverter flap, and I'd like to be able to test / trace any information.

It's not got air Con, just the basic heater.

Don't know what the ECU is/where TVR "borrowed" it, but that would be a start, as the PIN OUTs will be the same ...

Any help or pointers most welcome.

Thanks

Richard

PS
On a separate note, I was thinking about putting a PWM cooling fan arrangement on the car, rather than it's single speed setup, anyone got a parts bin recommendation for a thermo sensor and controller from another manufacturer that works well?
There is an aftermarket kit in the USA, or of course make one from scratch ... but thought I'd ask for feedback and ideas before re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers
R
Last edited by FioranoCars on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: TVR Griffith/Chimaera 400/500 Heater Wiring Diagram

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi Kevin and thanks for the info

Yes, they have some controllers for 1/2 speed and electric water pump (EWP) controllers too, which I had considered moving from belt to EWP but it's a PWM controller that I really wanted for the fans, rather than 1/2 stage, which is all DT offer. Did have a good look at DT and a few other motorsport suppliers, but except for flash displays their ranges have changed little in 20years since I build my V8 race cars! Well except Kenlowe and Pacet have stopped supplying fans (damn!)!!

There is an American outfit, who don't get the best reviews for component quality and use "push in" sensors (want to use a proper boss):
https://derale.com/products/electric-fa ... controller

So would end up with little support and a long way away, with known issues ... not a great place to start!

As many modern production cars have moved away from even 2 speed to full PWM I had hoped there would be a simple, but unknown to me (too focussed on narrow range who don't use PWM!) option out there that could be easily re-used in this application. Say Mercedes or some someone else (I know Merc use PWM fans).

While there are plenty of "hobby/Arduino" stand alone PWM motor controllers, even up to the 40amp I think we'd want to cover life and aging in general, it would then need a case and board for temperature control to drive the PWM board ... sounds like a wheel that's been done before!

Have just found another USA device:
http://www.autocoolguy.com/on-line-store
they look more professional, cost a little more, but still $200 area, not daft, and sensors are sensible!! :D

Of course, if someone has a EWP and PWM fan config, even better, as the existing water pump is scrap, so not a big leap to go over to an EWP. Rather use an off the shelf in the UK solution borrowed from another car, than go bespoke.

Thanks
R

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

The gadget from "autocoolguy" can run 2 fans and has 2 sensors

Is sensor 1 for Fan A, and is Sensor 2 - Fan B independent of Sensor 1 - Fan A.

If the TVR has only one cooling fan then you could use Fan B control for the EWP.

Otherwise the EWP can be run from a Thermistor (Temp Sender Will do) wired in place of the variable pot in a PWM controller.

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

TVR has 2 fans, but they could be run in parallel regardless, and this car has no A/C
The EWP could not be run effectively by this unit as you'd need another sensor in the block, and the logic for EWP is very different to just cooling ... it's about heat distribution and avoiding hotspots, even at cold start, so pulsed operation is typical even from cold, a different beast.

Anyway, the PWM and EWP are secondary ... Much as I'd like an easy parts bin raid, that's not my real issue, I need the interior cabin heating system to operate! ...

It's any info on the TVR's Heater Controller module (non-A/C) (not coolant fans which is just 2 relays and a temp switch) either the parts bin they nicked it from, or better still the wiring diagram is what I'm after ... please!

While the fan blower switch is vauxhaul 0-1-2-3 settings, the ECU is as yet to me unidentified ... if I had that I could look to the OE diagrams for some inspiration...

The other switches are bespoke, temperature and fan speed, not tested them, but the fan blower switch is good, and the display is typical TVR, giving no hints as to the issues ...

Richard