Land Rover Strategy - Fault Code

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Land Rover Strategy - Fault Code

Post by STC »

P115B.JPG
This came to me with the symptoms
1. Restricted Power
2. Engine cuts out
3. Fuel Gauge stuck Reading Zero, with Full tank of fuel.

Standard easy Diagnosis, one of the 2 Level sensors in the tank open circuit. Replaced the Sensor and carried out TSB wiring modification to in tank wiring connectors. Solved and gone.

The fault code description for P115B made me stand back and look again - "Low Fuel Level - Forced Engine Shutdown"

The subject of this car arose whilst talking to Steve Smith & Alan and they were equally astonished at that ECU strategy, just as I was.

Above is a screen shot of the Description for P115B from Jaguar Land Rover Topix.

Better to stop it whilst before the Pump & Injectors are run dry of lubricant and save the hassle of bleeding it etc. I'm guessing ??

A bit naughty when there are 2 tank level sensors, one of which was correctly showing there was fuel in the tank ???
Last edited by STC on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Land Rover Strategy - Fault Code

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi STC

You are absolutely right regarding the strategy of trouble code P1115B.

There is a excellent description of this code in the Denso service manual over Common Rail System (SRC) where the ECU strategy is called " Run Dry Prevention (RDP) Control"
Run Dry Prevention (RDP) Control
Run Dry Prevention (RDP) Control
Regards
Kim

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Its the same strategy on all the euro 5 and 6 diesel fords now ! The other good one is egt over temp we only need to see 1 egt out of range to cut an engine!!! Rather a frighening expierience in the fast lane of a motorway.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Does these cars with that strategy have piezo injectors?

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

The fords do yes, either continental or delphi piezo units

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Volrem
Cannot be 100% certain, however if Ford are using them then I presume that Land Rover will be too. Cannot see them sharing an Engine and fitting different Injectors - Of course, anything is possible!

Why do you ask ?

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

STC wrote:Volrem
Cannot be 100% certain, however if Ford are using them then I presume that Land Rover will be too. Cannot see them sharing an Engine and fitting different Injectors - Of course, anything is possible!

Why do you ask ?
I can undestad that strategy on piezo injectors because these are very sensitive. Run dry and it's toasted. Injector repairer can fill that element again but when you run out of fuel and fill up then possibly you won't be able to start engine. There is rail pressure sensor that should avoid that but ...

Know several cases when injector is removed and after installing doesn't work again correctly. Because piezo element has drained (injectors need to be hold vertically and horisontally. Also when there is no backpressure in return line they behave bady and have great chance to be damaged.

Siemens injectors for example Volvo 2,0D has dry piezo so these don't suffer this but injectors with wet piezo do.

So if you have low fuel then there is great possibility that some amount of air enters injector and damages it. No problem with solenoid injector.

I may be totally off with that but just my humble idea.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

My last post is totally off. Did some google and found it from Denso manual:

http://www.service-engine.com.ua/webroo ... Engine.pdf

7.5 Run Dry Prevention (RDP) Control
Outline
When the diesel fuel is completely expended, engine restartability may worsen. To prevent the
aforementioned situation, a pseudo-gas shortage condition is created, alerting the driver that fuel is in short
supply. The driver is thus prompted to refuel the vehicle, therefore avoiding an actual empty fuel tank.
Operation
The engine is operated according to processes 1 through 5 in the figure below.
‡ 1: A fuel gauge "E" level signal is inputted to the engine ECU via CAN communication.
‡ 2: The engine ECU command injection quantity begins to be summed.
‡ 3: When the summed value for the engine ECU internal command injection quantity is greater than "A",
the injection quantity guard is set to value "a", and output control is initiated. DTC: P115A is detected.
‡ 4: When the summed value for the engine ECU internal command injection quantity is greater than "B",
the injection quantity guard is set to value "b", and hesitation operation is initiated. For details on injection
quantity control during hesitation, refer to the figure below. DTC: P0313 is detected.
‡ 5: When the summed value for the engine ECU internal command injection quantity is greater than "C",
the engine is stopped. In addition, the injection quantity guard is set to value "c", enabling restart and lowspeed
driving. DTC: P115B is detected.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Thanks Volrem

Useful document & thoughts.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Danny
Rather a frighening expierience in the fast lane of a motorway.
Clearly you do not live in the vicinity, or a frequent user of the M25 ? :D :D :D

On a serious note - that is a worrying thought !!!